Towing & Hauling

GVWR question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another question, does the standard tow package for new F-150s include a weight distributing hitch, or is that only included in the max tow package?

Old 03-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joebada
Thank you all for your input.

Mike, regarding this statement:

"I see the axle ratings here being exceeded before the GVWR is even reached. Ford should had give the truck 4050 lbs axles in the front and 4150 lbs axles in the rear so that the GVWR could be acheived before matching the axle ratings. So obviously, this is no heavy half ton or 3/4 ton in disguise."

-- Where did you get the axle ratings info?
-- what do you think the true GVWR is if this is the case?
-- how are so many people towing 7000 lbs trailers with these trucks?

Thanks again,
Joe
I tow a 7000lb TT with a 2010 F150 Screw 4x4 5.4, 3.73, 7650 GVWR and 1853lb payload, Max tow. Just the wife and I. It has a SnugTop canopy, sliding bed tray. BT weight 110lbs, canopy 160lbs. TT tongue weight apr 850lbs. Misc gear in truck 150lbs. Total=1270lbs Payload capacity 1853-1270=583. Me and the wife 150+130=280, that leaves us 383lbs. Hard to tow much bigger with a family and all of their stuff. To do it you need the highest payload posssible. Ordering the 8200gvwr F150 is the way to go, but you can't get an 8200#GVWR in a Screw, only Reg/Scab models with an 8' bed.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Another question, does the standard tow package for new F-150s include a weight distributing hitch, or is that only included in the max tow package?
You'll get the frame mounted hitch attached to the truck with either tow package. You won't get the WD bars or special WD hitch head from the factory. You have to get that on your own...

Mitch

Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
how are so many people towing 7000 lbs trailers with these trucks?
Probably ignorance of all the published limits, and probably not having any problems - yet.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you all for your input.

Mike, regarding this statement:

"I see the axle ratings here being exceeded before the GVWR is even reached. Ford should had give the truck 4050 lbs axles in the front and 4150 lbs axles in the rear so that the GVWR could be acheived before matching the axle ratings. So obviously, this is no heavy half ton or 3/4 ton in disguise."

-- Where did you get the axle ratings info?
-- what do you think the true GVWR is if this is the case?
-- how are so many people towing 7000 lbs trailers with these trucks?

Thanks again,
Joe
Many here and at other forums have stated their axle ratings with a Max Tow Package. As it is, a standard XLT or FX4 has 3750# Front and 3850# Rear Axle Ratings. That 4050# and 4150# statement would give nearly the same axle rating cushion you with a standard rated axles and 7200# GVWR. The new 2011 Lariats get a 3900# front axle rating, most likely due to the 6.2L engine option as the 2010 Lariats were 3750#.

I would think the true GVWR with the Max trailer package is at most 7550#. The extra capacity in the front axle shouldn't really help much over over a 5.5' bed truck with it's 3750# axle. The difference is that extra axle allows more weight to be distributed to it from the hitch. If you have very heavy passengers in the rear seat, that front axle would see that additional weight also. However with most Screw configurations, which seem to be popular tow vehicles for families towing large RVs, the rear axle should had been rated much higher to give at least the same cushion as the stanard ratings do. With a Screw most weight will go on the rear axle or behind it, meaning little of that weight will be shifted to the front axle at all.

Perhaps their thinking is with the Max towing package, more weight will go to the front axle over a truck not used for towing so that they may increase payload ratings to reflect the newly used front axle capacity. then again they could had inflated the GVWR for the standard Towing as well but they didn't. Who knows why they do what they do but 4050# + 3900# = 7950# with only a 225# cushion over it's 7675# GVWR. The standard 3750# + 3850# = 7600# with a 400# over it's 7200# GVWR. Unless you load 3 large people up in the front seat, you'll likely not use all of your GAWR or use all of that newer, higher payload.

So to summerize on the GAWR vs GVWR, with the Max Tow, in all likelyhood you could go over your GAWRs before you even met your GVWR. In some situations, you may be able to use that full payload without overloading your axles, but your so close between the combined axle rating and the GVWR, I don't see this happening much. That's where 3/4 and 1 ton trucks come in, with superior axle ratings.

I camp a lot and the wife and I are always discussing how people are just so ignorant. We regularly see people OVER loaded 500 lbs to 1000 lbs with 1/2 ton SUVs, 1/2 ton Pickups, and 1/2 Ton midsize SUVs/Pickups. We just saw yesterday a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder towing a Jayco 23' Hybrid travel Trailer. That Jayco is about 5500# to 6000# loaded (I researched this trailer previously). Hybrid TTs are normally used for larger families with all their beds(pop out tent beds like in a Pop Up camper). That Pathfinder has a max tow rating of 5000# and a hitch weight of only 500#. It would be lucky to even have a 1300# payload. I owned a 2005 Pathfinder and they are not tow friendly by my experience and I even had the newer, more robust model year. That Jayco most likely had a hitch weight of 750# to 800# exceeding that Pathfinder's hitch by up to 300 lbs!!

That Pathfinder was grossly overloaded but we see this and much much worse all the time. Most people think, if it can pull it, it can tow it. You can make that Pathfinder pull most TTs, but doesn't mean that if something goes wrong, that it'll maintain control and keep everyone safe. Likely a blow tire will cause a wreck that could also injure or kill other families on the road.

When we see idiotic rigs like that, we make sure we are as far a way from them as possible.

I've seen many do the same with 1/2 ton pickups. Pulling 7000 lbs trailers, 6 people riding in the truck, 3 or 4 bikes on the front bumper of the truck, canoe strapped to the top of the truck, bed loaded with fire wood, and weight distribution hitch misadjusted where the truck is nearly riding a wheely while pulling the trailer and hauling all that gear. BTW, this is very very COMMON as we see many rigs as this! I'd say a good 1000 lbs or more overloaded.

Last edited by Mike Up; 04-02-2011 at 03:34 AM.

Quick Reply: GVWR question