Towing & Hauling

Need New Trailer Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:41 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
1820 x 2 on the axle. Load it up, hook it up, and go hit a scale - check the trailer axle weight. Betcha you are well over, 6x12's really should be dual axle.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
1820 x 2 on the axle. Load it up, hook it up, and go hit a scale - check the trailer axle weight. Betcha you are well over, 6x12's really should be dual axle.
will do thanks again

Old 03-23-2011, 07:32 AM
i dont want to waste the space of a whole new thread, and since this one seems to have run its course ill jump on the tail end of it.

I was towing my boat (~5000# bay boat and tandem axel trailer) back up from marathon in the keys to tampa. about an hour into the drive i got some lunch and checked my boat tire pressure. the pressures of the 4 tires was between 60-72 psi. the tires are recommended at 50 psi when cold, which i made sure was on exactly 50 when i left to go down to the keys in the first place from tampa. My question is how much can one expect the pressure to go up when towing over long distances in warm weather (80-95 degrees)? what is dangerous? the tires are relatively new and in good condition.

i didnt know the answer then, but i dropped all the tire pressures back down to 60 psi (since they were warm) just to be safe.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by whitt91
i dont want to waste the space of a whole new thread, and since this one seems to have run its course ill jump on the tail end of it.

I was towing my boat (~5000# bay boat and tandem axel trailer) back up from marathon in the keys to tampa. about an hour into the drive i got some lunch and checked my boat tire pressure. the pressures of the 4 tires was between 60-72 psi. the tires are recommended at 50 psi when cold, which i made sure was on exactly 50 when i left to go down to the keys in the first place from tampa. My question is how much can one expect the pressure to go up when towing over long distances in warm weather (80-95 degrees)? what is dangerous? the tires are relatively new and in good condition.

i didnt know the answer then, but i dropped all the tire pressures back down to 60 psi (since they were warm) just to be safe.
good question, I would like to know as well

Old 10-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by pmason718
Nah I didn't but I will try locally, I just hate buying anything in NY sometime, where did you see that the Goodyear was made in China? I see that the Kenda tires are made in Reynoldsburg, Ohio. Anyone have experience with the Kenda's? I think I'm going to go Kenda
I used to sell trailer tires....every single radial is made overseas...most in China. Not one brand is still made in the U.S. unfortunately. We used to sell Kenda's, Goodyear's, Tow Masters, Carlisle, etc. Honestly they are all about the same when it comes to failure rate. Most people don't take care of their trailer tires. They overload them and under inflate. Make sure you buy the right load rating based upon the amount of weight you're going to be carrying, and make sure you inflate to the maximum air pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire and you'll be fine with any brand.

Quick Reply: Need New Trailer Tires