Towing & Hauling

Need New Trailer Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need New Trailer Tires

My Enclosed 6x12 utility trailer needs new tires (I think). I'm going to have them checked but they look as if they're cracking on the side (could be) b/c the trailer does more sitting than its being used. I was doing some research but figured I'll ask you guys b/c I know someone has replaced there tires before. What should I be looking for like Bias Ply vs Radial, etc, etc. ?

This is the info I found on Bias Ply Vs. Radial tire

http://www.michelinag.com/agx/en-US/...ias_radial.jsp

Thanks

These are the tires I was looking at on Tire Rack

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

I also looked at tires on etrailer.com and I've seen tires but none of them are name brand but were a lil cheaper than the Goodyear's above.

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tire...205|75~15.aspx

My current trailer tire spec

205/75/15
Load Range C

Last edited by pmason718; 03-20-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:45 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
You might as well go with the offbrands - those Goodyears are made in China. Have you checked locally for trailer tires to save on shipping? Shipping cost on tires can get quite expensive.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You might as well go with the offbrands - those Goodyears are made in China. Have you checked locally for trailer tires to save on shipping? Shipping cost on tires can get quite expensive.
Nah I didn't but I will try locally, I just hate buying anything in NY sometime, where did you see that the Goodyear was made in China? I see that the Kenda tires are made in Reynoldsburg, Ohio. Anyone have experience with the Kenda's? I think I'm going to go Kenda

Last edited by pmason718; 03-20-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:11 AM
glc
Go to the Tire Rack page you linked, and click on the Specs tab. The far right column is Country of Origin - CN - China.

Radials run cooler and give you more stability.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Go to the Tire Rack page you linked, and click on the Specs tab. The far right column is Country of Origin - CN - China.

Radials run cooler and give you more stability.
Thanks a lot for that info. After googling reviews of the goodyear tires I see that a lot of people have suffered blow outs with them, that's no good for me. I wonder if the Kenda's are made in China as well even though the company is based in the US like Good year

Old 03-21-2011, 03:39 PM
The Kenda's are made in China as well. I just got off of the phone with them.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
My trailer tires are Maxxis M8008 ST Radials. I got them through Discount Tire. I'd recommend the highest load range you can get. My trailer came with Goodyear Marathon Load range C tires, and they both failed due to cord separation. The Maxxis tires are load range D. The difference in cost is minimal when you consider the damage that can happen from a blown trailer tire.

- Jack

Trending Topics

Old 03-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
My trailer tires are Maxxis M8008 ST Radials. I got them through Discount Tire. I'd recommend the highest load range you can get. My trailer came with Goodyear Marathon Load range C tires, and they both failed due to cord separation. The Maxxis tires are load range D. The difference in cost is minimal when you consider the damage that can happen from a blown trailer tire.

- Jack
I was looking at the same Maxxis your talking about. I want to change from the load C to D as well but the Maxxis I've seen are $167 per tire. If you don't mind me asking do you recall what you paid for them at discount tire?

Just looked on discounttiredirect and with my luck the 1 Maxxis tire they have in my size is a Load C. What's another site that I can get a Maxxis tires from

Last edited by pmason718; 03-21-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:03 PM
glc
CARLISLE ST205/75R-15" RADIAL Tire, Load Range D
Std. Equiv. F78 x 15
Load Range: D (8-ply)
Max. Capacity: 2150 lbs. each
Overall Diameter: 27.2"
Maximum PSI: 65 lbs.
CARLISLE'S 'RADIAL TRAIL' Series Trailer Tire.
Radial trailer tires are constructed for a softer, more quiet ride than bias ply tires. 'ST' series trailer tires provide better durability and bruise resistance under heavy loads than 'P' series passenger car tires.
Stock # 1604120
Price: $83.20

http://www.easternmarine.com/index.c...ource=googleps

Drive down to Newark DE and get them with no sales tax or shipping charges.

Last edited by glc; 03-21-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 PM
Powerking is making load range 'E' 15" trailer tires if load range is what you are after.

Discount Tire sometimes has trailer tire "deals". Some stores sell any 15" trailer tire for $25 with a lifetime replacement warranty.

ALWAYS get a spare!

Old 03-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by glc
CARLISLE ST205/75R-15" RADIAL Tire, Load Range D
Std. Equiv. F78 x 15
Load Range: D (8-ply)
Max. Capacity: 2150 lbs. each
Overall Diameter: 27.2"
Maximum PSI: 65 lbs.
CARLISLE'S 'RADIAL TRAIL' Series Trailer Tire.
Radial trailer tires are constructed for a softer, more quiet ride than bias ply tires. 'ST' series trailer tires provide better durability and bruise resistance under heavy loads than 'P' series passenger car tires.
Stock # 1604120
Price: $83.20

http://www.easternmarine.com/index.c...ource=googleps

Drive down to Newark DE and get them with no sales tax or shipping charges.

Its not so much of a price thing now I just want quality tires. I've read bad reviews about the Good Years. I've heard the Carlisle's aren't that great but the Maxxis are excellent. Does it hurt to change from a Load C range tire to a D or E. What affect will this have?

Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
Powerking is making load range 'E' 15" trailer tires if load range is what you are after.

Discount Tire sometimes has trailer tire "deals". Some stores sell any 15" trailer tire for $25 with a lifetime replacement warranty.

ALWAYS get a spare!
Thanks for chiming in as well. I know your around trailers 24/7, is there a tire that you recommend or live by. My tire size is 205/75/15 Load range C. Not sure if I should go with a C or D or E.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
There's no problem at all moving UP from load range C to D or E. A higher load range means more load carrying capacity. The ST205s in the quoted post would have a capacity of about 1850# if they were load range C. It's actually hard to find 205s in Load Range D, but they ARE still available from Maxxis I think.

My tires are ST225/75R15s, Load Range D and they had to be special ordered by Discount Tire. Took about 3-4 days to get them. The price of each tire was $123.00, but they add $19 for free replacement certificates and $15 for lifetime spin balancing. The max capacity of these tires is about 2500# at 65 psi.

Like you, I've read some pretty bad things about Carlisle tires on trailer forums and the salesman at Discount could not recommend them.

- Jack

Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
There's no problem at all moving UP from load range C to D or E. A higher load range means more load carrying capacity. The ST205s in the quoted post would have a capacity of about 1850# if they were load range C. It's actually hard to find 205s in Load Range D, but they ARE still available from Maxxis I think.

My tires are ST225/75R15s, Load Range D and they had to be special ordered by Discount Tire. Took about 3-4 days to get them. The price of each tire was $123.00, but they add $19 for free replacement certificates and $15 for lifetime spin balancing. The max capacity of these tires is about 2500# at 65 psi.

Like you, I've read some pretty bad things about Carlisle tires on trailer forums and the salesman at Discount could not recommend them.

- Jack
thank you. What if I went from a 205 to a 225 what effect if any would this have?

Old 03-22-2011, 04:08 PM
glc
Measure carefully to see if the bigger tire will clear everything - and make sure your wheel is wide enough for that size. It doesn't look like there's much room to spare inside those fenders. You have to account for full suspension compression too.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Measure carefully to see if the bigger tire will clear everything - and make sure your wheel is wide enough for that size. It doesn't look like there's much room to spare inside those fenders. You have to account for full suspension compression too.
True. I guess when the time comes I will go with the Maxxis but I will get a load D instead or the load c I already have. I do have one question though. If the load C range is 1820lbs is does that factor in the weight of the trailer or just payload?

Quick Reply: Need New Trailer Tires