Towing & Hauling

Bags or WD hitch

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bags or WD hitch

OK fellas, I bought a new TT and it is heavier than my old TT and my WD hitch is not up to par. Would you purchace a new heavier WD hitch or put airbags on, which they are both about the same price. I do have a sway kit that I can use if I put the bags on. So whats your input fellas?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:47 PM
You are often limited to around 5000 lbs without a weight distribution kit on your hitch - airbags won't help here. The sticker on the hitch should state your capacities with and without WD. For my 7500 lb travel trailer, I bought the Reese straight-line trunion hitch with sway control (highly recommended). I also added the Firestone air bags because with my 2" leveling kit, I wanted a little help keeping things level when loaded.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Well put 2009KR

Air bags don't increase load capacity. They just level the truck so that you can have full suspension travel giving a nicer ride.
WD bars distribute the load on all the mounting hardware of the receiver, ultimately putting some of the weight on the front of the tow vehicle by applying torque; pushing the receiver down toward the front.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks fellas. My trailer comes in loaded at around the 6000 to 6500 lbs range and the truck handles it quite well. I also have a leveling kit and an add a leaf on it. Just curious to what was the best route to go, I guess I know the concept of how the WD hitch works but didn't really think about it.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Just curious as to why Ur old weight distributing hitch is no longer up to par? Is it rated for 1000 pounds or so of hitch weight? I have old style with pins instead of newer style and will be trying them out this weekend. My tt is only around 5000 so I should be good.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:59 AM
Mine are just the old style with the bar that snaps into the hitch and the chains on the trailer end. The reasoning behind the new hitch is that the old torsion bars are only rated at 550lbs they also hit right in the center of my propane tank mount.

After reading all the answers I gave my Pops a call and had a talk with him about the subject, he's towed everthing under the sun with any type of tow vehicle imaginable, and he agrees with you guys that the new hitch is the way to fly.

So now I guess this goes to the best bang for your buck hitch set up!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Bags or WD hitch