Towing & Hauling

Another rookie tow question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another rookie tow question

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm a motorcycle guy not a truck savy guy. I have a 2010 F150 FX2 Sport with the 5.4L 3:55 Ratio #7100 GVWR package. We are looking at a 24' TT that has a dry wieght of 4780. I know dry wieght don't mean much but it's a start. Should my truck pull this no problem?also my truck came with some kind of trailor or break wire harness inside the glove box. I guess I need it?

Old 08-19-2011, 10:31 AM
I pull a 5000# 23' TT with my 02 F150 5.4l auto w/3.55 gears. I have to keep the trans out of overdrive, but it pulls it fine with plenty of power. I have bolt on power adders, but nothing major. I did add firestone air bags to level the truck out when hauling. Made the truck drive a lot better when loaded.

Yes you need to get an electronic brake controller that will hook up to your factory brake controller wiring harness. This will allow you to use the TT brakes, which are necessary for 5000# trailer.

Good idea to watch the tranny temp with a gauge if your truck is an auto tranny. My truck didn't come with one stock, so I added the Scan Gauge II so I could see it. My truck runs 160 F unloaded and 180 to 190 F loaded. My truck has the factory towing package with the trans cooler and I added an aluminum tranny pan. I still push 190 F temps with that added.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:38 AM
You need to get the gross weight(loaded ready to camp) of the trailer you're looking at and also the gross weight of the truck and that is how much the truck weighs full of fuel, passengers, and everyhing else you carry with you. Once you have those numbers you can start figuring out what size trailer you can safely tow with the truck. If you have a truck stop near you can pay to use the scales or if you ask you may be able to run the truck across the scale at a recylcing center or waste transfer station for free.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:11 PM
I have 06 4x4 with the 3.55 gears and have oversize tires and I had no issues pulling my 26 foot tt that weighed 4400 dry. I also had a 4 wheeler and dirt bike in the bed. Have airbags as well. Realize I was over weight limits, but can't afford my dream diesel right now. U shouldn't need the bags with yours, but make sure u get a weight distributing hitch. Brake controller as stated above will also be necessary. I say u will be just fine. What terrain will u be towing on?

Last edited by jerrybizzle; 08-19-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:28 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your truck will do great with that sized/weight travel trailer. You run out of payload well before hitting your 9000+ pound tow rating. Most families add about 1000 pounds to the dry rating with options, food, cooking supplies, clothes, and other camping gear. So expect you'll be near 6000 pounds when traveling. Properly loaded, that means about 750 pounds of tongue weight.

Use Tow/haul mode for the trans when towing. You do need a brake controller along with the two relays in the glove box. One is for the trailer brakes, the other for charging the trailer battery while driving. Also, a good weight distributing hitch like Equal-i-zer or Reese Straight Line.

Quick Reply: Another rookie tow question