Towing & Hauling

Towing Advice??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing Advice??????

O.k. i'm not new to towing a trailer,but this is a different truck for me.I have a 2001 F-150 supercrew(full 4 doors)short bed 139in. long wheel base,4.6 engine,4SPD.Auto.trans.W/overdrive,3.55 limited slip axle W/Tran.Cooler,with 6350lbs.optional tow package tire size of 255/70x16,the door tag says front GWR 3100 lb,Rear 3660 lb,.the hitch says weight Dist.,8700 lb,tongue 870 lb,weight carrying 5600 lb,tongue 500 lb.
Now to what i need to know,i'm taking a trip from Kentucky to Gettysburg Penn.(572.29 miles 10.30 hours) in two days..I need to haul a 3500 lb. car and would like to use a 22 foot enclosed trailer W/elec.brakes,i don't know what the trailer weight is but i'm sure some of you could guess close to the weight..there will be two people in the truck,a large cooler,two small tool box's,and a bout 4 suit case's,and along with assorted small item's...IS MY TRUCK(F-150)ABLE TO DO THIS?????????for those that replies thank you for your time and help with this.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:04 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
It probably can do it, but you will probably be over limits. Don't even try without a weight distribution hitch.

I'd highly recommend that you use an open car trailer instead.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
as posted on the other forums you asked this on, don't do it

Old 11-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by glc
It probably can do it, but you will probably be over limits. Don't even try without a weight distribution hitch.

I'd highly recommend that you use an open car trailer instead.
i have a open trailer 18 footer but it takes so long to clean my show car once i get to the shows.and if it rain's well i would have to take the shop with me.
i all so have a weight distribution hitch, i got it for my camper years age sold camper but keep hitch.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
as posted on the other forums you asked this on, don't do it
thanks for your reply,now be helpful please an make some "nice,ploite suggestions" as i would for others.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:53 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
If you do it, put all the cargo in the trailer with the car. This will help with reducing the payload, which is where you would be busting the limits. You need to minimize the loaded weight of the truck AND the tongue weight, but too LITTLE tongue weight will make for a very unstable tow. You may want to go hit the truck scales on your way out of town to see where you are at, and adjust the positions of the trailer contents to balance it out right.

The 4.6 is going to be working very hard, and don't even THINK about using overdrive.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:35 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by chipman01
thanks for your reply,now be helpful please an make some "nice,ploite suggestions" as i would for others.

I'm sorry you want someone to lie to you, you've made up your mind about this "adventure" already so I hope for your sake it is un eventful and you don't hurt any innocent people if something happens

Old 11-21-2011, 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
I'm sorry you want someone to lie to you, you've made up your mind about this "adventure" already so I hope for your sake it is uneventful and you don't hurt any innocent people if something happens
so your the one on this site and there always one that doesn't read all the posts that i have made. if you want to lie to me post some were else. i just want Advice. i said i have a open trailer that i really don't want to use on this longer trip, are i could get a smaller enclosed one 18 or 20. i can't believe that my 2001 f-150 w/factory tow package can't pull as much as my old 1990 f-150 stock did,i pulled a 22 footer camper to Tenn. once a year with.now if you want to help be a nice.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:47 AM
thanks to all,you all have been helpful,I'm signing out as off 6 p.m tonight.will make one last post a that time.thanks again for the help and there was some good Advice.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:25 AM
My advice... don't guess and don't take a poll from the forums. Go to the scales and weigh your truck empty and then weigh truck with trailer loaded. It's the only way to know for sure and you may be surprised by your actual weights!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Mojo Boost
My advice... don't guess and don't take a poll from the forums. Go to the scales and weigh your truck empty and then weigh truck with trailer loaded. It's the only way to know for sure and you may be surprised by your actual weights!
i haven't got the trailer yet that is why i posted here was to see what i could buy. thanks for the reply i'm going to do that the local feed store has some scales.good ideal.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:40 AM
I have an 02 f150 Supercrew 4x4 w/5.4 motor and tow package. I tow a 23' camper that weighs 6000 loaded. I use a distribution hitch and have airbags on the truck. The truck handles fine and has plenty of brakes ( trailer has brakes too). I made a 1800 mile round trip this summer to Bristol, TN and did fine through the hills. The main drag on the truck is wind resistance from the camper. I stayed in 3rd gear and ran 60 to 65 mph. I have a tranny gauge and it stayed at 180 except on major hills it climbed to 195. Ambient temp. was around 85 on this trip.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not really sure what 'advice' you are looking for? If it's "sure, go ahead, you'll be fine...", that's probably what you already figured?

My 'advice' is to be sure your trailer brakes are working and you have a brake controller for the truck.

You'll be running around #6000 + on that trailer/load combo, so it is what it is and you have what you have for your truck.

With the 4.6, you only have the 8.8" rear end, so if you are close on your rear axle limit, I'd be most concerned about that..

Expect the motor to rev when it needs to. You might find it downshifts to 2nd a lot, but that's to be expected IMO.

Don't pass a gas station if you are around 1/2 tank and another gas station is further than say 50 miles or so!

Do a walk around your rig at each gas or rest stop you make. Open the hood and check the fluids and hoses. Check all the tires and make sure other things are still where they are supposed to be, etc...

Take it easy and don't be in a hurry. Leave plenty of time and space around yourself.

I'm not endorsing your adventure, but wish you safe travels!

Mitch

Old 11-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Just don't expect to be getting anywhere in a hurry and make sure your brakes are working. Like was mentioned earlier, brake controller will be necessary. I was over my weight limits, payload wise when towing all summer and didn't think it was unsafe. Go for it and have fun at your car show. how about a pic of the rig u will be showing.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:00 PM
most of you'll have been real helpful and i thank you.....i forgot to list that i had a brake controller also i have a distribution hitch.i never use overdrive when towing....i drove a tractor trailer you 15 years so i know most of the safety stuff.and alway check fluids at rest area's and gas station.i think i'll go with the 20 footer. that gives me about a 1 1/2" on each end of my show car in trailer i don't think my galaxie xl will fit those.... i would need the 22" for it.i will try to post a photo of truck w/car on my open trailer,i not real good at that kind of stuff.thank you.i will keep on looking at this post but i will not post any more unless i ask too......thanks

Quick Reply: Towing Advice??????