Towing & Hauling

Is towing weight different when using a 5th wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is towing weight different when using a 5th wheel?

Have an opportunity to get an 05 5th wheel camper for a good deal. Unloaded weight is 7278 is well within specs but gross weight (gvwr) is 10560 which is about 1200 over what is recommended in my manual. I have an 05 4x4 supercab 5.4 with 17" tires. According to the book 9300 lb trailer weight is max. I doubt if I'd ever haul it with tanks full or anything and I was planning on getting air bags installed as well.
Was just wondering since hitch weight is about 1350 lbs if it would make a difference.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Way to much trailer for your truck. Your payload is only around 1500lbs and the tongue weight of that trailer will be more than that alone when fully loaded to camp. That doesn't include the weight of fifth wheel hitch, passengers (family), bikes, firewood, etc. That unfortunately is 3/4 ton+ territory. Take it from me, When i traded in my 07' F150 5.4 for the new Ecooboost with Max Tow Pkg i was planning on getting a Cougar Lite fifth Wheel and the numbers just didn't work out in my favor due to payload. And the trailer i was looking at was under 9000lbs fully loaded.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Yeah I figured that I would never tow the trailer while tanks are full and with maybe 800-900 pounds of gear I would still be within specs. With the addition of air bags to help the suspension I figured it would be close.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Is the 1350lbs hitch weight when its empty? If it is then add about 250lbs for the hitch witch puts you at your max payload before you add yourself,family, and cargo. The D.O.T. Dept. Don't care about airbags. Besides that having that big of a wind deflector behind you will make that 5.4 struggle on any decent hill. I had to face the same thing with my trucks limitations. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Loaded ready to camp that trailer is going to be close to 9,000lbs with no water in the tanks with a pin weight of around 2,250lbs plush another 250lbs for the hitch in the bed of the truck and that's before you add your family and every thing else you are going to take. Plain and simple, that trailer is way to heavy for the truck that you own currently. I tow a 28ft 5er with one slide and our trailer is pushing 10,000lbs with pin weight of 2.500lb before the hitch with no water in the tanks when it's behind my truck and with water I'm close to 11,000lbs with a pin weight of 2750 with out the hitch.

Last edited by dsq3973; 01-09-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mkinttrim
Have an opportunity to get an 05 5th wheel camper for a good deal. Unloaded weight is 7278 is well within specs but gross weight (gvwr) is 10560 which is about 1200 over what is recommended in my manual. I have an 05 4x4 supercab 5.4 with 17" tires. According to the book 9300 lb trailer weight is max. I doubt if I'd ever haul it with tanks full or anything and I was planning on getting air bags installed as well.
Was just wondering since hitch weight is about 1350 lbs if it would make a difference.
Unless you have 7-lug wheels you can't tow the max rating. Look up the rating for your specific truck.

My truck weighs 6200lbs with a 1/2 tank of fuel and just me in it. Disregarding the payload (which is 2800lbs for me) you would have a trailer that could only hold up to 2000lbs, as long as it didn't add any more tongue weight.

Don't bother, if you need a 5th wheel, get a 3/4 ton

From Ford, look at page 17
http://www.ford.com/assets/pdf/towin...TTgdeMay07.pdf

Old 01-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Those airbags would still be connecting to a 'semi float' rear end and what about the tires?

Anyway, you could probably manage it if all you were doing was moving it from one storage spot to another in the same lot...

It's not all about the so called, 'tow rating' and trying to stay under it alone.. Lots of other factors come into play once you have an actual truck and load.

Traveling 'light' is also another thing folks say they are going to do when trying to make the numbers work for them... Even if that were the case, I'll guarantee that over time, you will add more stuff!

I understand it's a 'good deal' on the 5ver... But, that does not mean it's necessarily a 'good deal' for your '05 F150!

Good luck with the decision!

Mitch

Old 01-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Way too big.

Always calculate that it's super easy to reach the GW rating fo any travel trailer.
The number from the manufacturer are always under-rated.

I don't have that much stuff in mine and I catch the GW whitout any water in the tank.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Sponsor
As someone with a stake in air bags, I agree with others. That is really too much weight for the truck.

You may want to check out this link to do some actual calculations. Also, the weight you mention of the trailer, is that a weight take from manufacturer specs or an actual weighed number? The manufacturers sometimes tend to bend the truth on the weight ratings.

Air bags would help lift the rear of the truck back to a factory height but they do nothing for the axle, frame, tires, brakes, or numerous other driveline parts. I'm not saying the truck wouldn't move the trailer, but at some point there will be an odd situation on the road and your rig may get thrown around uncontrollably. Safety is the number one priority.

Quick Reply: Is towing weight different when using a 5th wheel?