Towing & Hauling

Car hauler or dolly? Which would you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
only down side to the hauler is the weight. Its 2k lbs empty.

Ive used both setups twice, i like the hauler if the truck can handle the extra weight.

Have you priced getting the car shipped on a transport?
I had someone on another forum mention getting it shipped but I haven't looked into that yet, I always hear negative comments about shipping companies and it just makes me uneasy. My car is my baby and I have a hard time trusting someone with Sally.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by 2004Triton5.4
Thanks man! Looking on the U-Haul site, they don't mention brakes on either trailer but I know they do have them on the hauler and would think the dolly would too, since they want the transport to be as safe as possible and not wanna risk any type of lawsuit.
I've seen both the dolly and trailer at U-Haul. Their tow dolly has no brakes and their car trailer has surge brakes. I know someone mentioned dollies with surge or electric brakes, but I have never seen one so equipped at a rental location.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by RPFB
I've seen both the dolly and trailer at U-Haul. Their tow dolly has no brakes and their car trailer has surge brakes. I know someone mentioned dollies with surge or electric brakes, but I have never seen one so equipped at a rental location.
Thanks for the clarification. Do the surge brakes help enough to notice?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 AM
I towed a KarmanGhia on a big trailer once..and almost didn't felt a trailer and car was there.
and it almost cost nothing more to tow then a regular empty trip.
open trailer are easy to tow...and won't put any strain on your truck.

Never like when I tow my 7500lbs toy hauler...and I do long trip (500mile one way)
planning to go to mid-ohio this summer from montreal(700mile) and the next week I go to the far east quebec(Past Sept-iles)..it's gonna be a 2500+miles in 3 week and I don't worry at all about the truck.

Last edited by maxpat82; 01-11-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by maxpat82
I towed a KarmanGhia on a big trailer once..and almost didn't felt a trailer and car was there.
and it almost cost nothing more to tow then a regular empty trip.
open trailer are easy to tow...and won't put any strain on your truck.

Never like when I tow my 7500lbs toy hauler...and I do long trip (500mile one way)
planning to go to mid-ohio this summer from montreal(700mile) and the next week I go to the far east quebec(Past Sept-iles)..it's gonna be a 2500+miles in 3 week and I don't worry at all about the truck.
That's good to hear! Thanks! I went to Google yesterday and searched some shipping companies to ship my car for me, well I ended up getting six quotes from the shipping and surprisingly the cheapest one so far is $940. That's not bad at all but I need to read some reviews for these companies before making a decision.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
my only thing i'd recommend is if its not much more get an enclosed trailer car hauler.

Also you might ask what their schedule is like so you can make sure either you or someone is on both ends of the transport. Make sure you look over the car really well for any damages before you sign anything.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
my only thing i'd recommend is if its not much more get an enclosed trailer car hauler.

Also you might ask what their schedule is like so you can make sure either you or someone is on both ends of the transport. Make sure you look over the car really well for any damages before you sign anything.
Sorry for not stating that above but I clicked the option for an enclosed trailer, when I filled out the info. It has really gotten annoying cause I sent out for quotes through a shipping database and it seems like every shipping company in the U.S has called my phone today! One guy called leaving a voice mail and it sounded like he was standing right beside a loud microphone while he was talking. If I do end up using a shipping company I am gonna talk a crap load of pics of my car before it gets put in a trailer.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:12 AM
An enclosure trailer is a totally other game gaz wise

It would be pretty much the same as towing my toy hauler.

8-9mpg (maybe you can get 10mpg with a 3,73 if you're lucky)

The KarmaGhia I towed was completly restore and I done a couple km in gravel road and near 100km in back contry road and not a single problem...except a bit of dust on the car once at destination.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by maxpat82
An enclosure trailer is a totally other game gaz wise

It would be pretty much the same as towing my toy hauler.

8-9mpg (maybe you can get 10mpg with a 3,73 if you're lucky)

The KarmaGhia I towed was completly restore and I done a couple km in gravel road and near 100km in back contry road and not a single problem...except a bit of dust on the car once at destination.
The enclosed trailer would be if I used a shipping company. Otherwise the car hauler is an open trailer.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:58 PM

One more question! Will a brake controller help with the surge brakes on the U-Haul trailer? Thanks!

Old 01-18-2012, 03:36 AM
No. Only needed with electric trailer brakes.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by RPFB
No. Only needed with electric trailer brakes.
Thanks for the reply!

Quick Reply: Car hauler or dolly? Which would you prefer?