Towing & Hauling

Best brake controller and edge combo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best brake controller and edge combo?

I have an edge prgrammer in my 08 FX4. I'm getting ready to tow across country and was wondering which brake controller I should purchase? I have the tow package and will be towing a 22' enclosed trailer with 5500 lb axles and a car from georgia to washington state. I assume I'll still be able to have my edge plugged into the input below the steering wheel, but let me know if I'm wrong! Thanks!

Nolan

Old 02-22-2012, 08:48 AM
The brake controller will not be in the way of plugging in your programmer.
The brake controller plug in is above and behind the OBD II plug in. You can route the wires for the brake controller to the side to avoid being near the OBD port.

As far as controllers... The Tekonsha Prodigy is the #1 selling brake controller in the country by far out selling it's nearest competitor by at least 5 times. That being said it is not Tekonsha's best or top of the line controller. It is just the best features per dollar available. The Tekonsha P3 does everything the Prodigy but additionally lets you control the display color and error codes are in plain English.

The more you tow the cheaper the controller you can get away with as you understand their limitations and control functions. The absolute minimum controller you should look at is timer based controls like the Draw-Tite Activator II or Tekonsha Pilot. Inertia is usually a step up but controllers like the Tekonsha Voyager I see as a step down because they are very difficult to set accurately. Never really liked the Primus.. can't really articulate why.

Like a million threads like this already in this forum, most agree on the Tekonsha Prodigy as the go to controller.. second if you must spend more $$ then step up to a P3.

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 02-22-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Former Sponsor
Appreciate the help!

Quick Reply: Best brake controller and edge combo?