Towing & Hauling

Tekonsha Prodigy brake control harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tekonsha Prodigy brake control harness

I have an 05 f150 4x4 SC and I want to hook up a brake controller. Does the Tekonsha Prodigy come with everything I will need to install it? Or will I need an harness? Their website is not clear on this.

I will be towing a 3 brake axle boat trailer. Is this the controller to get or maybe something else? I don't need bells and whistles

Thanks

Old 02-22-2012, 10:57 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
http://www.etrailer.com/bc-2005_Ford_F-150.htm

The adapter makes installation a lot easier - no cutting and splicing.

Do you already have a round 7 pin connector at the bumper? If not, you will also need this:

http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...eid=2005305703

Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Sponsor
I'm running the same brake controller and really like it. I bought an adapter when I originally installed it but they shipped me the wrong one. Long story short I was leaving that weekend so I ended up just splicing it in, which isn't an issue if you are fine with soldering and stripping joints.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A boat trailer with electric brakes?

Or is it that you have hydraulic brakes on the axles and it uses an electric controller to activate a master cylinder on the boat trailer?

I've seen this setup for regular trailers where you change the electric drum brakes to hydro disk brakes. You still use your electric brake controller, it just goes to a master cylinder on the trailer itself to activate the disk brakes.. Pretty cool actually.. (My dad put those on his huge 5th wheel RV).

Mitch

Old 02-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
A boat trailer with electric brakes?

Or is it that you have hydraulic brakes on the axles and it uses an electric controller to activate a master cylinder on the boat trailer?

I've seen this setup for regular trailers where you change the electric drum brakes to hydro disk brakes. You still use your electric brake controller, it just goes to a master cylinder on the trailer itself to activate the disk brakes.. Pretty cool actually.. (My dad put those on his huge 5th wheel RV).

Mitch
You know I'm not sure. This is a boat that I am considering buying. If I do I will be towing it 900 miles. So your saying boat trailers normally just run off of the 7 pin plug on my truck? I will call the owner to see what brakes it has. I just assumed I would need a controller. Thx

Old 02-22-2012, 05:10 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
I'm guessing that you will need a controller for a triple axle trailer. I don't think anything that big is only going to have surge brakes.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Most boat trailers that even have brakes at all are hydraulic 'surge' brakes. The coupler on the boat trailer will have a small master cylinder plumbed to the brakes on the axles, just like a car does.

When you are hitched up and hit the brakes, the coupler 'slides' from the inertia of you slowing down and that causes the mc to engage and apply the brakes on the boat trailer.

Some have an electric cut off switch so when you put the truck in reverse, it disables any braking on the trailer. This only works with a 6 or 7 pin plug and where the truck is wired for reverse lights to the 6 or 7 pin plug.... You would NOT need any kind of brake controller in the truck for this to function or the surge brakes themselves.

You should contact the seller and ask to be sure what you are dealing with. As GLC mentioned, something that big might just have an electric braking system for the size of it.

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 02-22-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by glc
I'm guessing that you will need a controller for a triple axle trailer. I don't think anything that big is only going to have surge brakes.
The Tekonsha Prodigy is rated for up to 4 axles worth of electric brakes... so that is a non-issue.
What is an issue is the Tekonsha Prodigy is not rated for most types of Electric over Hydraulic brakes. Some electric over hydraulic brake systems require a special type of system to send the right signal. The Tekonsha P3 is rated for almost all of the electric over hydraulic systems.

So, if the boat has electric over hydraulic brakes the Prodigy may or may not work. Most likely it won't work correctly. A P3 is your best bet if you have no idea what you are picking up.
If the boat has a surge type hydraulic brakes no electric brake controller is needed at all.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
Some have an electric cut off switch so when you put the truck in reverse, it disables any braking on the trailer. This only works with a 6 or 7 pin plug and where the truck is wired for reverse lights to the 6 or 7 pin plug....
There is also a 5 flat with reverse for boat trailers... not common but a possibility when you show up. Boats trailers manufactures' are just a squirrelly bunch. No real commonality with the rest of the trailer industry. They use what ever they think they should use.... cause they are the ones in charge.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Correction: triple axle trailer with only two braking axles.

Makes little difference. I will contact the owner. Thx

Quick Reply: Tekonsha Prodigy brake control harness