Towing & Hauling

Am I misguided or is this hole too small?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I misguided or is this hole too small?

The hitch came with my 2005 FX4, so it's whatever Ford put on there. There are 2 holes that go all the way through the hitch, and I'm assuming both are for the pin. The pin goes all the way through the first set of holes (closest to back of truck) fine, it's a REESE ball mount/pin. The pin goes through the first hole (in the 2nd set of holes) but will not go through the 2nd hole when pushing the pin through left to right. I can't even begin to push the pin through if trying right to left. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the hole itself or if I'm just not meant to use that to attach my ball mount? Here are pics:

Is it alright to have it through the first set of holes, all I'm using it for is in case I get stuck in the mud -- I literally don't tow anything. I think it looks better when it's in all the way (no pun intended). Is there a reason it doesn't go through that hole?

Old 03-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Well first off are you the orginal owner so its 100% guarnteed to be factory instead of a previous owner mod? Second off Ive NEVER seen a hitch with 2 holes for the pin (and part of my job is servicing probbly 100 super duties and 300 school buses). That said looking at the pics the hole where the pin does fit is where hitches and recivers are designed to be at. Personally if I was just using it for a tow strap I'd either get a pintle reciver or just wrap the strap through the hitch (possibly use the pin to hold it in place)

Last edited by kc0stp; 03-05-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks just like my stock 2005 F150 hitch. I have my pin in the second set of holes. Mine had weld slag in the hole, just needed to clean it out some. You can see how close the hole is to the weld, easy to miss the slag. Just clean it out.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by kc0stp
Well first off are you the orginal owner so its 1005 guarnteed to be factory instead of a previous owner mod? Second off Ive NEVER seen a hitch with 2 holes for the pin (and part of my job is servicing probbly 100 super duties and 300 school buses). That said looking at the pics the hole where the pin does fit is where hitches and recivers are designed to be at. Personally if I was just using it for a tow strap I'd either get a pintle reciver or just wrap the strap through the hitch (possibly use the pin to hold it in place)
No, actually bought it used but I have the original sticker and all the information in my manual. It states that it has the tow package added ($350.00) with 4 pin wiring and I figured he wouldn't have changed that. Got the truck at 46k miles. I'm assuming it's the stock FX4 hitch just because it would be insane for him to pay $350 then buy a new one lol. Also everything in the book is written down for maintenance and had one accident involving the front with no frame damage...

Old 03-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Looks just like my stock 2005 F150 hitch. I have my pin in the second set of holes. Mine had weld slag in the hole, just needed to clean it out some. You can see how close the hole is to the weld, easy to miss the slag. Just clean it out.
There it is! Bam! Thank you, much appreciated! I'll just grind a little out then.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:15 PM
so thought this thread was going to be about something else.....

Old 03-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by PHGFX4
No, actually bought it used but I have the original sticker and all the information in my manual. It states that it has the tow package added ($350.00) with 4 pin wiring and I figured he wouldn't have changed that. Got the truck at 46k miles. I'm assuming it's the stock FX4 hitch just because it would be insane for him to pay $350 then buy a new one lol. Also everything in the book is written down for maintenance and had one accident involving the front with no frame damage...
Well first off guess you do learn something new everyday, dont know why ford would have the second set of holes but guess they do (like stated earlier this is the first Ive ever seen). My comment about the orginal owner mod was more along the lines of, the previous owner couldve gone and drilled the second hole (for whatever reasson) and didnt get it aligned right so the pin cant go through.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by greenenvy1
Yeah, I can see how that would come across lmao

Originally Posted by kc0stp
Well first off guess you do learn something new everyday, dont know why ford would have the second set of holes but guess they do (like stated earlier this is the first Ive ever seen). My comment about the orginal owner mod was more along the lines of, the previous owner couldve gone and drilled the second hole (for whatever reasson) and didnt get it aligned right so the pin cant go through.
Yeah I didn't even think about that, the holes were perfectly aligned the same distance apart so I didn't even consider it, definitely a viable concept if not for the other's that checked their own. Good thinking.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by greenenvy1

I was going to say it if nobody had beat me to it

Quick Reply: Am I misguided or is this hole too small?