Towing & Hauling

would a wing help MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would a wing help MPG?

OK i just pulled a 32' jay feather bunk house up to the SF bay area from the border of Nevada. in my 2010 screw 5.4 4x4 with 3:55 out back and got a little over 12.4 buy the dash and hand calculated its 11.1 MPG. now my question is would a wing like the ones trucker have on there cab help the mileage out. the trailer sets up so high i don't think it would. i just wandered if any one has try ed one of those wings and if so did it help out your mileage. i stopped to fill up in Bakersfield and saw a dodge 3500 and he had one but it was a diesel. only thing he told me was it did increase his mileage but didn't tell me by how much.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:51 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Maybe in theory, but that would look bizarre. That's a big boat either way, so I don't think you'd do much better esp with a gasser. It has to work hard to move that wall.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd be happy with 11 mpg! I get around 10 towing a 22' TT that only weighs #5000...

For the wing to be any good for a TT, you'd have to have it about 2-3 feet from the front of the TT. Putting it on top of the cab and having your trailer some 8+ feet back will do nothing.. Actually, you'd probably only be creating more DRAG at that point..

I've heard that people get about 1 mpg better when they run it a canopy and have something like a canoe strapped to the top of it. Or the canopy and a smallish 'wing' at the very back to help.

The biggest issue with towing a TT of any size is the BACK of the TT... They are usually completely flat in back and that's what causes a lot of DRAG on the entire rig. I'm sure you have seen one being towed in the rain.. All that swirling of the mist following behind the trailer is DRAG.. That's what is the main issue IMO...

Mitch

Old 04-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya i was thinking about a shell/topper then the wing on the back end of that. mitch makes a good point that flat @$$ end would cause a bad drag!

Quick Reply: would a wing help MPG?