Towing & Hauling

Brake Controller Install: '01 F-150 7700

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Controller Install: '01 F-150 7700

I recently purchased an '01 F-150 7700 that was previously used to tow a gooseneck trailer. The entire gooseneck setup came with the truck but for whatever reason they decided to take the brake controller with them. I have a Draw Tite brake controller (this guy) that was installed in one of my dad's trucks that he sold. It was wired into the plug for that truck. Now, it seems that instead of buying the Ford harness so that it was plug and play (which I actually have) they went and spliced into the truck's harness. I'm trying to find how to wire the controller up and I've found conflicting information so far. Also, there appears to be one more wire on the truck than the controller. Here's what I've found on here so far:

White: 12V ground
Blue: Trailer Brakes
Green: Brake Pedal Switch
Red: 12V positive
Black 12V positive

Are the red and black wires on the truck both positive? Do I have to wire them both to the black wire on the brake controller? The controller has only four wires:

Blue: Trailer Brakes
Black: 12V positive
Red: Brake Pedal Switch
White: Ground

So for wiring the controller in, I should do the following:

Controller -> Truck
Blue -> Blue
Black -> Black, Red, Black+Red?
White -> White

Old 04-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive me, I'm slightly colour blind. The wire in the truck that I called black is actually brown. In searching some more with that information, I discovered that the brown wire isn't used. I hope this helps someone else out!

Quick Reply: Brake Controller Install: '01 F-150 7700