Towing & Hauling

Bought a New 24 Foot Travel Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 12:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought a New 24 Foot Travel Trailer

Where do you guys suggest is a good place to set the factory brake controller? I had it set to 5.5 and it seemed ok.

Also, Do you recommend using the tow/haul mode at all times while towing? I used it today when pulling the trialer home and I did notice a difference on shift points.

I've never towed a trailer this long before, it says 24 feet but from the ball to the back bumper its actually 29 feet, 4 inches. It will take a bit oif getting used to.

Finally, are all WD Hitches created equall? You guys that tow, what do you recommend to be the best available?

Thanks
Habs

Old 05-04-2012, 02:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With something that size figuring you care at all about your tranny Id always use tow/haul mode (better performance and helps reduce tranny temps). As far as WD hitches they are definatly NOT created equal, IMHO the best budget conciouus setup would be an equalizer brand, however if budget isnt an issue there are a few high $$ ones that are better ($1k+). Far as the brake controller is concerned I cant say as I havnt gotten one yet...

Old 05-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Cool

Whad ya know! I've got a keystone too! I almost bought a cougar, but I went with a Bullet Premier 29REPR. They are nice, huh? The length of mine is 33'6", but actual "living" space is around 29'. What he said, always use T/H. The trans is reprogrammed for towing which also helps with decending. With more or less weight on various trips, the settings on your brake controller will differ. Instructions are pretty clear, so you'll just have to experiment. It does have a memory. I'm a novice too, but it looks like it has some type of distrubition hitch on it? Did the people where you bought it set up your hitch? Because to me it looks like the front end is higher than the rear. When mine was set up, the rear only dropped about an inch and the front was within an inch. Mine towed great until one time I didn't have any water in my tank so my tounge weight was lite by about 250lbs. So it was a little squirrely. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Scarlet; 05-04-2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: my speling stinks
Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by kc0stp
With something that size figuring you care at all about your tranny Id always use tow/haul mode (better performance and helps reduce tranny temps). As far as WD hitches they are definatly NOT created equal, IMHO the best budget conciouus setup would be an equalizer brand, however if budget isnt an issue there are a few high $$ ones that are better ($1k+). Far as the brake controller is concerned I cant say as I havnt gotten one yet...
Thanks KC.

Originally Posted by Scarlet
Whad ya know! I've got a keystone too! I almost bought a cougar, but I went with a Bullet Premier 29REPR. They are nice, huh? The length of mine is 33'6", but actual "living" space is around 29'. What he said, always use T/H. The trans is reprogrammed for towing which also helps with decending. With more or less weight on various trips, the settings on your brake controller will differ. Instructions are pretty clear, so you'll just have to experiment. It does have a memory. I'm a novice too, but it looks like it has some type of distrubition hitch on it? Did the people where you bought it set up your hitch? Because to me it looks like the front end is higher than the rear. When mine was set up, the rear only dropped about an inch and the front was within an inch. Mine towed great until one time I didn't have any water in my tank so my tounge weight was lite by about 250lbs. So it was a little squirrely. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice trailer Scarlet, we looked at one of those. I really liked it but it was just a bit bigger than I wanted to tow. I never felt comfortable towing right at the border of the weight limits so I went with the 24RLS because 2 feet shorter and about 1,000 pounds less.

You're right though, they do make a nice trailer. This is our third one.
First one was a 73 Boler which was a lot of fun, then an 86 Sunline 21 foot and now this.

I was imnpressed with how nice they were made, they really are a nice step up from Jayco etc. Not that theres anything wrong with Jaco, I think they a great trailer if you have a bunch of kids because for the money you get a lot, but Keystone seems to be a slightly higher end RV.

Ours has the 2 chairs at the rear, so last night I went out and bought a ottoman to rest our feet on.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Good looking Cougar; have seen a few of those around. This will be my 14 yr pulling campers/trailers in various sizes & weight and vehicles. Last travel trailer was 19' and currently have an Evergreen Everlite 29FK which was pulled until recently with a V8 SUV w/o tow-haul mode. Tranny was worked to the max!! So, I agree, use T/H mode all the time. Similarly, as stated the TBC setting will differ slightly with the load your hauling & speeds being typically run (city vs hwy). My 29FK dry wgt is 5,000# where I believe the Cougar is approx 5,900#. Lastly, and also stated, all WD hitches are not created equal. I purchased a Blue OX (w/lifetime warranty) & 1,000# torsion bars installed for $750 and very much satisfied with the quality, ease of use, performance & customer service from the Mfgr in response to answering queries.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
IMO, what you have now looks fine to me.. Yes, it's just your everyday WD hitch setup, but what else do you need?

Load the trailer properly and leave it a bit 'tongue heavy' and it should tow straight and true.

If it makes you feel 'warm and fuzzy', you can go for the other brands that offer 'built in' WD.. Nothing wrong with them either.

Some will say the "BEST" is the Hensley.. But, with a new price tag of over $3,000, that's a lot of $$ to be 'warm and fuzzy'...

Take it out for a few long runs in varying conditions and driving situations and if it feels good, go with it... If it's all over the road, it could just need some finer adjustments/load shifting..

A proplerly hitched and weight distributed and designed trailer, of any length, should not 'sway' at all in general.. Even in some severe situations, it should still essentially track right behind you..

Nice ride all around.. Hitch up and enjoy!

Mitch

Old 05-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
the new camper looks sweet!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 AM
With a trailer that long I would recommend some sway control.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Congrats! Nice rig!

Old 05-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Sweet looking rig!! Welcome to the Keystone family! I own the sister camper to yours, an Outback 292BH. I would also suggest getting sway control. Equal-i-zer is what i have and works great. It has weight distribution and 4-way sway control all in one.My trailer is 33' 9" long and she has no sway at all. Eqaul-i-zer has vids on youtube you can check out and understand how they work and how easy it is to setup correctly! When i picked mine up from the dealer i had a 5hr drive home and it wasn't very pleasant due to the hitch not being setup correctly. I took the time and set it up myself and it made a world of difference! If you have any questions about your new trailer you can also go to KeystoneRv.org forums and you will get all the answers you need! I spend a lot of time over there as well! Good luck with the new rig!! Kevin

Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 PM
As far as the brake controller setting, it depends on the trailer brakes. Before we bought our trailer, we rented a TT. I had to set the brake controller at the max, "12" to get any braking action. With our current trailer, I have it set at about "3" and the trailer brakes work great. I have the Prodigy P2 controller and the Equalizer 4 point sway hitch setup working with the 28' TT.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 PM
I too have just got new TT, we bought a 27' Jayco 27bh. Lucky me is that my son works at an RV Dealer and he and i set up my WD hitch. By looking at your photo the chains on the bars needs to be hanging straight up and down. And the front of my truck look the same as yours. we had to turn the receiver up side down to raise the ball and angle the ball mount out. This lifted the back of my truck up to level to one inch. The other thing he (my son) told me is that when all hooked up the WD bars should be level with the tongue of the trailer. Hope this helped.. I too will say.. nice trailer....

Old 05-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

Regards
Habs

Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Nice rig! I would definitely be looking into a sway control bar for it as well. They can dance around pretty good without.

Quick Reply: Bought a New 24 Foot Travel Trailer