Towing & Hauling

Towing 5k for 1800 miles can I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing 5k for 1800 miles can I do it?

I have a 2002 f150 4x4 supercab with 190,000 miles on it. It has the fx4 package and the tow package, fresh 3:55 posi rearend. The hitch is OEM weight distributing ( not WD on the trailer) type 5, 800lb/8600lb. I have never had a check engine light on my truck and I am **** about maintenance. I just had the rear end overhauled and the guy said I was lucky to get 190k out of it. I attributed some of that to changing fluid every 30k. I talked to 2 Tranny guy's today about possibly putting a larger cooler on and got 2 different answers, one no, one yes. Both thought I was lucky to get over 100k out of the 4R70w. I am going to tow a old ford 9n tractor from New Mexico to Oregon in July. Trailer weight will be about 5000lb.
This is what I am thinking I will do to help insure a trouble free haul.
1.) get a Super Chips programmer for more torque.
2.) Put in a new waterpump and hoses and thermostat.
3.) install a trailer brake control.
4.) Maybe put on airbags (comments please)?
5.) I'm up in the air about the bigger cooler?
Is any of this overkill besides the brake controller?
Thanks for any advise/ experiences towing this weight.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:30 AM
A weight distributing hitch would be very helpful imo. Depending on if your truck is a 4.6 or 5.4 will make a difference in how well the truck pulls. The 4.6 will do it, but it will be slow especially with 3.55 gears. If this is a one time thing I wouldn't bother with airbags or a programmer. If your worried about belts and hoses change them. If your truck doesn't have an auxillary cooler I would add one. Brake controller is a must. Just take it at a comfortable pace and make sure to lock out OD, especially if the truck starts hunting for the right gear. Good luck

Old 05-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake controller and maybe higher gears and you will be just fine.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:09 PM
My truck does have the factory cooler and is a 5.4 liter triton. Thanks for the reply's.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:46 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Get a Prodigy brake controller (assuming the trailer has electric brakes and a 7 pin connector), hook it up, and go.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Trailer does have electric brakes and I have the factory wiring harness for the controller. So far the responses seem to be leaning toward the truck being able to do this with no mods. I do think I will put a water pump on for piece of mind, since it is original.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by 8seconds
Trailer does have electric brakes and I have the factory wiring harness for the controller. So far the responses seem to be leaning toward the truck being able to do this with no mods. I do think I will put a water pump on for piece of mind, since it is original.
Get that brake controller working and you should be good to go

Old 05-24-2012, 08:50 PM
WATER PUMP? why do you fell you need it replaced? a trans cooler is aways a good idea! brake controller is a must when towing over half the weight of tow vehicle! the 5.4 will tow it fine just USE THE TOW HAUL BUTTON! keep one thing in mind your truck will not stop like it did when you didn't have a trailer in tow so keep some comfort room between you and next car. good luck and let us know how you do.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:10 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
A 2002 doesn't have a tow/haul button. However, I'd recommend you lock it out of OD.

The factory tow package has a trans cooler.

http://www.etrailer.com/multi-produc...6258&hunter=bc

Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Heat is the big killer for towing. I have a 02 F150 5.4l. I tow a 6k lb camper with no issues. I installed a wd hitch, brake controller, alum tranny pan, and air bags on rear axle. I had too much tongue weight, making the air bags necessary. To me the main thing I installed to prolong the trucks life is the scangage II. I can monitor engine water temp and transmission temp on the digital gauges. I can see when I need to back off the throttle. This was the cheapest way for me to get a tranny gauge installed.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:49 PM
I just ordered the prodigy P2 brake controller.
Blueovelboy, The reason I want to change the water pump is it has 190k miles on the original. I will be going thru the desert in AZ and CA in July. Although I have no weeping or overheating issues I figure it is cheap insurance to make sure the cooling system is up to par. Most water pumps don't last for 190k so I would rather change it now rather than risk a failure under a heavy load, away from home.
The trailer I am using has some ability to adjust the position of the tractor for hitch weight. So hopefully I wont have a sagging rear.
I do tow my 2500lb boat alot, but it has surge brakes. I understand the extra distance for braking.
I really appreciate all the input. I'm feeling alot better about making this trip with minimal mods.
Kraft I will look into that scangage.
GLC thanks, I do always tow with OD off.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:51 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Been towing my #5000 TT for 10 years now.. No issues and it's all stock. Just rolled over 234,000 miles on my most recent camping trip last weekend..

Have you replaced any of the rad hoses? Upper and lower? That's about all I've done, other than the regular maintenance stuff and fluids of course..

Other than having some fresh fluids, including coolant, all I would do is #3 on your list and hitch up and go....

Mitch

Old 05-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by 8seconds
I just ordered the prodigy P2 brake controller.
Blueovelboy, The reason I want to change the water pump is it has 190k miles on the original. I will be going thru the desert in AZ and CA in July. Although I have no weeping or overheating issues I figure it is cheap insurance to make sure the cooling system is up to par. Most water pumps don't last for 190k so I would rather change it now rather than risk a failure under a heavy load, away from home.
The trailer I am using has some ability to adjust the position of the tractor for hitch weight. So hopefully I wont have a sagging rear.
I do tow my 2500lb boat alot, but it has surge brakes. I understand the extra distance for braking.
I really appreciate all the input. I'm feeling alot better about making this trip with minimal mods.
Kraft I will look into that scangage.
GLC thanks, I do always tow with OD off.
wright on i must have missed the 190k when i read the first post. i agree thats a lot of mileage and would be good insurance. in my post i said use the tow/haul button 02 didn't have that so what i was referring to was the O/D button. hope your pull goes of boring and uneventful!

Old 07-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Update: I made it back

Wanted to thank all who replied and say my truck did an awesome job pulling the tractor. In all it was close to 4000 mile trip 1500 of which I was towing 5k-5.5k of weight. My truck just rolled over 196000 miles and it ran like new the whole way. Tranny is stock with stock cooler. I did replace the water pump and hoses b-4 leaving. Good thing, it was 114 when I crossed the mojave desert. Pulling that grade out of the desert my trans temp got up to 232 degrees, but came right back down after the climb. It's average temp was 175 - 195. I think I will get 300k out of this truck at this pace.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:54 PM
thats awesome glad it went well hope you do make the 300k mark in it

Quick Reply: Towing 5k for 1800 miles can I do it?