Towing & Hauling

2011 F-150 Ecoboost with 5th Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That thing is gonna' look like an ant pulling a loaf of bread..................

Old 06-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper

Yep.

The difference being, the Ant is Designed to do it.

MGD

Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03Screw,

I will need to drop the king pin to the next set of holes> When I was backing it into the driveway I almost hit the box of my pickup with the 5th wheel. I was aware of it and it came pretty damn close! (about 1/2 inch). We are definately excited and can't wait to start camping.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
Its a fact that ants are able to carry 50 times there own weight!!

Old 06-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin O.
Its a fact that ants are able to carry 50 times there own weight!!
Yes, BUT - they can PULL far more...

You've seen those strong dudes pulling a boxcar? Scale the ant to an equivalent size, and it'll pull the Whole Train

Everyone's definition/perspective of 'safety' means a different thing - I have neighbours who still cut their grass with high-powered gas mowers - with sandals, no eye/ear protection, their pooch and snotsucker a few feet away ... and think nothing of it. Incredible.

Point: the Correct Tool for the job. Can you? Sure. Should you? No.

Law of Averages wins - every time.

MGD

Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by danreg99
I called the salesmen and asked again and he said I can install the 5th wheel hitch but will have to remove it prior to turning it in. Worst case scenario is I will need to purchase the vehicle in a year for $27,000 if he was wrong. Hopefully the ecoboost will be worth that in a year (with 18,000 miles).
Always talk to the lease company.....they know more about what the their lease is about than the idiot salesman....

Old 06-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Glad to hear everything pulled fine danreg99, my new truck should be here in July sometime and we are gonna be doing some serious camping. Ended up selling my old truck to fast and we cant go camping till the new one arrives. I've been dealing with a very unhappy wife for a few weeks.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 PM
I had to adjust the kingpin box on mine as well I have a foldacover and it raises the hight of the bed sides due to its mounting rails. I went up 2 positions to get it right , its an easy job to do. You may have to fine tune a few things as all trucks are different. When I hitch up I find it to be helpful if the king pin plate is a tad lower than the hitch plate on the truck so when i back it into it- it will raise the fifth's plate up and help avoid high hitching the kingpin. I will also do a test pull which involves raising the landing gear up only a few inches off the ground, leaving the chocks in place and trying to nudge the rig forward a little that way you know that you are positively locked up. Depending on your brand of hitch you can get a device called a bed saver http://www.blueox.com/p-1276-bedsaverpinlock.aspx We found that it took a trip or 2 to get used to the new sounds and sensations coming from the rig when we changed over from a TT but the whole set-up just feels so incredibly more confident and safe in comparison.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by 03Screw
I had to adjust the kingpin box on mine as well I have a foldacover and it raises the hight of the bed sides due to its mounting rails. I went up 2 positions to get it right , its an easy job to do. You may have to fine tune a few things as all trucks are different. When I hitch up I find it to be helpful if the king pin plate is a tad lower than the hitch plate on the truck so when i back it into it- it will raise the fifth's plate up and help avoid high hitching the kingpin. I will also do a test pull which involves raising the landing gear up only a few inches off the ground, leaving the chocks in place and trying to nudge the rig forward a little that way you know that you are positively locked up. Depending on your brand of hitch you can get a device called a bed saver http://www.blueox.com/p-1276-bedsaverpinlock.aspx We found that it took a trip or 2 to get used to the new sounds and sensations coming from the rig when we changed over from a TT but the whole set-up just feels so incredibly more confident and safe in comparison.
I have to ask, what size fifth wheel trailer do you have??? What's the weight?

Old 06-20-2012, 08:48 PM
It is a 2006 Forest River Wildcat 24rl dry wt 6890 lb. Hitch wt 930 lb. 26ft~ length

Quick Reply: 2011 F-150 Ecoboost with 5th Wheel