Towing & Hauling

Trailer Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Brake Issues

Ok I have searched threads for three days now and have not come across what I have anywhere here or in electrical threads. I have a 1997 that has the 7 pin trailer hookup. I bought it off my dads neighbor who used it primarily for hunting an pullin his tractor. There was no brake controller in the truck when i bought it so I went to AutoZone an got one. The first time i hooked it to my father in laws trailer with the 6 pin connector to haul a tractor the trailer brakes were always locked up an nothing was showin on the brake controller. After researching i switched the Aux Power and Brake wires in my adapter. Now my brake controller shows the numbers when the pedal is pushed but the trailer brakes are still always locked up. Does anyone have an idea of what to check next? I need to get this problem resolved because I need to haul tractors an mowers to my property.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by 97Fordman150
The first time i hooked it to my father in laws trailer with the 6 pin connector to haul a tractor the trailer brakes were always locked up an nothing was showin on the brake controller. After researching i switched the Aux Power and Brake wires in my adapter. Now my brake controller shows the numbers when the pedal is pushed but the trailer brakes are still always locked up.
Sometimes people really screw up wiring on trailers. I appreciate that they do because it is job security for me.

There are 2 different common wiring schematics for the 6 pin plug. There are also many who think there is no standard and wire it what ever way they want.

I'd start by identifying your 7 pin to 6 pin wiring adapter. When putting your adapter in your truck which wire is the charge line. Center pin or the one on the left when looking at the truck plug? Center pin charge line is common on adapters as it is the more common RV plug wiring pattern.

Next using a meter check continuity on the trailer. Check that the largest pin on the 6 pin plug is the ground with least resistance. The one with the most resistance is the electric trailer brakes. The bottom 2 and the top center are your lighting. These will be between the brakes and ground for resistance. Lastly your charge line should not have any continuity.

After this diagnosis you should be able to figure out why the brakes are staying on. Good luck.

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 06-04-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:16 AM
Ok let me say this, The trailer functions perfectly hooked to my father in laws 2 trucks an Honda Pilot, so I know its not the trailer. This morning i took my plug on the truck apart an my adapter apart an matched the wires so that the wires in the adapter an the wires on the truck plug matched up. I put everything back together an hooked my truck up to the trailer. Everything worked for about 2 minutes an i lost my brakes so i got out an pushed on the plug to make sure it was in all the way an burnt my hand so i looked back an the ground on the trailer was smoking. I then hooked the trailer up to my father in laws truck an parked mine to haul what I needed to haul. That tells me that somewhere my truck wiring is messed up an the hot an ground are switched???

Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by 97Fordman150
i looked back an the ground on the trailer was smoking.
Wow!
You really need to get that trailer checked to make sure you didn't do any major damage to the wiring if a wire was smoking.

You truck definitely isn't right... a fuse should have blown long before a wire smoked!

Sounds like you need a place to check them both out.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
Wow!
You really need to get that trailer checked to make sure you didn't do any major damage to the wiring if a wire was smoking.

You truck definitely isn't right... a fuse should have blown long before a wire smoked!

Sounds like you need a place to check them both out.
Trailer is fine i used it right after that with my father in laws truck an everything functioned just fine...My father in law an his buddy are going to look at the wiring an see whats wrong. They are very good with that stuff because his buddy works on boats an boat trailers an wires ALOT of stuff up on them

Quick Reply: Trailer Brake Issues