Towing & Hauling

Newbie needs advice..........

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie needs advice..........

2012 SCREW XLT, EcoBoost, 4WD, 3.55, and tow package. I am pretty new to the towing and hauling. Experience is basically towing a 2200# trailer with a 3500# car on it for 400 miles. No issues. As long as we have the truck, I am thinking about renting a travel trailer, and wifey and I going about 2K miles this autumn. As my wife likes her creature comforts, I would like to look at trailers that would support those comforts. But safety is a large concern. I would like some advice on how large a trailer you knowledgeable people think would be reasonable for a newbie. I would be interested in both length and weight. I know I can look at specs on the truck as far as towing capacity, but I really do not think that necessarily relates to prudence.

I am in the upper midwest and there are several large RV dealers within an hour or so. I would not want to rely on an RV salesperson to advise me on choices. I have read enough in the way of horror stories on here about exceeding limits. Definitely do not want to do that......

Thanks for any helpful info..

Old 07-30-2012, 12:15 PM
just you and the wife?

I'd get a 26' trailer and keep the dry weight at 40-60% of your max.

I just picked up a 30' Trail-Lite trailer that weighs in at 53% of my max (when dry) and it tows just fine on my short pulls so far.
But I have bunk beds in the back. For just you 2 you won't need bunks so from what I've seen in looking for a trailer you should be able to find a 26 footer that fits you just fine.

You might want to pick up tow mirrors if you don't have the OEM ones. I got the **** ones off Amazon for like $35

Old 07-30-2012, 12:28 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
What is the payload rating on your door jamb sticker, and how much stuff will you be loading the TRUCK with (total pounds, including you, passengers, and cargo) when you travel with the trailer?

Do you have the factory trailer brake controller?

Old 07-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There really is no 'length' restriction... I've got a TT that's only 22' from bumper to hitch and it weighs in fully loaded at a tad over #5000. But, it also has a tongue weight over #700. Eats away my trucks limited payload capacity pretty much to the point that I'm over the trucks GVWR by a far amount..

"Safely" is another term that is subjective because any size trailer can make a truck lose control of it, given the right circumstances..

I've been out of the RV shopping mode for the last 10 years, but I do keep up with what's on the market.. The trend is for longer and longer trailers to accommodate all the latest 'comforts', yet still try to keep the weight in check so a "1/2 ton" vehicle can still tow it within it's weight specs..

What that usually means is that the trailer axles are placed towards the center of the trailer to make for a lighter tongue weight.. Well, that helps on the trucks payload, but makes for a less stable tow.

My trailers axles are placed 2/3's of the way back on the trailer and it makes for a very comfortable tow to the point I only run a simple WD hitch setup..

Since you mention 'renting' first, you may find that the owners of said trailers have their own vehicle requirements for what they will allow them to towed with.. I've never checked that option out, so no idea.. I know if I were renting TT's, I'd have a minimum vehicle requirement for a given size TT...

The temptation is going to be taking your trucks "tow rating" and comparing that to a trailers "dry weight" and figure everything is just fine... Well, be careful with that and you can compute all the weight figures any way you like, but the bottom line is you will find you have less payload than you thought and you'll load more stuff into the trailer than you thought and it'll weigh more than you thought!

Good luck with the shopping and when you find the rig that the wife will be 'comfortable' in, let us know the specs on it and that'll tell us more on your needs..

Mitch

Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 PM
I have a 2012 XLT EB crew cab with 3.55 gears and the tow package. It's tow rating is 9,000#. We have a 28' Spree ultralight trailer. It's max weight is 7000# but weighs between 6000# and 6500# loaded for camping. We have the equalizer WD hitch and the Prodigy 2 brake controller. I try not to exceed 65 MPH and it tows very well. Do not expect great mileage. With a headwind, I get about 8 MPG. A tail wind will give me about 10MPG. Driving closer to 60 MPH will give slightly better mileage.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Just about any trailer with a dry weight rating of 6000lbs or less would be in your trucks comfort zone. The big thing to watch is the tongue weight of the trailer. Never go by the dry tongue weight that is advertised. That is before they add the propane tanks and battery. A good rule of thumb is to figure about 12-13% of a trailers GVWR(Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) as the tongue weight. So you then take that #, plus the weight of you and your wife, plus about 210lbs for fuel, plus whatever cargo you have in the bed of truck. If the total is less that your trucks GVWR you are good to go!!

Old 08-04-2012, 07:59 AM
30' bumper? Yuck behind any pickup! Much over 20ft and I only go gooseneck. Personal driving and what grandpa did years ago with the cattle trailer bumper pulls are not fun when they get long. He bought a brand new 18ft bumper and used it 1 time and took it back for a 18ft goose and never regretted it. This was also done for over the last 20 yrs with an F150 with overloads. Towing comes with experience, but I wouldn't be afraid to tow either of them with your truck. A longer bumper pull I'd REALLY recommend a well setup WD hitch, brings a trailer a lot closer to the ease of a goose/5th wheel setup. Brake controller is a must tho, I've towed shorter distance, roughly 16,700GCW with my truck and it handled it fine. WD hitch would have been nice but the skiddy trailer doesn't have one on it. Was well balanced and only slightly below level with the front, just would take a little of the see-saw out of the ride at times. I'll be picking up a Roadmaster some time soon.
edit...
For mirrors I ordered some of these for the old mans, and I can't tell a difference in them from my factory ford tow mirrors. Far cheaper than from Ford
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Mirrors/For...18/511989/2005

Last edited by ryanamy; 08-22-2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:56 PM
extended length

ryanamy regarding those mirrors that you bought, what is the extended length of these mirrors? I am currently using the slip over type tow mirrors on my 04 and they work ok. Want to know if the price is worth it for the money and usefulness of these towing mirrors, if there is any gain in rear side view of trailer.
Hope that makes sense, tired.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:29 AM
Ok, hopefully this will all make sense...measuring from the bottom of the window at a 90 degree angle to the outer edge of the mirror.

standard tow mirror mode - mirrors inside edge is 8.5-9" from vehicle, outer edge is 15" out.
extended tow mirror mode - inner edge 12", outer edge 18".

Quick Reply: Newbie needs advice..........