Towing & Hauling

04 FX4 SCREW 5.4 and Travel Trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 FX4 SCREW 5.4 and Travel Trailer?

So here is the scoop, I have a totally stock 04 FX4 Screw 5.4, and I have never towed anything, but it came with the standard Ford tow hitch. With that said, what is the average size Travel Trailer that can be towed? I don't know the weights of the trailers as I have no idea of a model, I am just looking to see if my truck would even be able to do the task. I also don't know much about travel trailers and have just started research it. So any info would be great. Again, just looking for general size, and I doubt I would even want anything over 30 ft if it is even possible. Thanks in Advance!

Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 PM
There should be information on your hitch. It should list max trailer weight, max tongue weight (without WD hitch) and max tongue weight WITH WD hitch. Also look at the plate on your driver door for your maximum payload. Your payload is not as much as you think it is. It's not just your trailer tongue weight. It must include things like extra passengers, your dog, stuff in your box (generator, tools, bike, coolers, etc). You will want to tow a light RV trailer; preferably no more than 5 to 6 thousand pounds; WET. WET means including fluids, food, clothing, everything you put in the trailer. Tongue weight is typically 10 to 15% of the total trailer weight. IMO, you should limit yourself to 6,000 pounds and 700 lb of tongue weight. And I think I would try to not exceed 28' in trailer length.

Make sure you check your specific vehicle. There should also be information in your owners manual. Things like engine and axle ratio affect what your truck can handle. I hope that you have a trailer tow package on your truck. If you have an FX4, I think it is standard. That will include HD radiator, tranny cooler, etc.

Last edited by acadianabob; 01-30-2013 at 07:27 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the info, I stopped by an RV rental place to get some info and according to them, my max is 7000 lbs. I need to verify this, but I did verify according to my original sales window sticker that I do have the tow package and an upgraded gear ratio and limited slip dif. I found in my glove compartment a new in bag towing cable with fuse, I think it has something to do with the braking but it is obviously not installed. So lets say they were correct that I can tow up to 7000lbs, Dow that 7000lbs include passengers etc that will be in the truck but not in the trailer?

Old 02-05-2013, 12:10 PM
check this out, specifically the link for the towing guide

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ing-guide.html

Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 PM
My dad tows his 32 footer with his 06 crew 2wd and has never had an issue. Brake controller and WD hitch are the only things not stock on the truck.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
check this out, specifically the link for the towing guide

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ing-guide.html
Wow, thanks that brochure is awesome and has a ton of good information, it says I can actually tow 9,200 lbs if I really wanted to, but I don't, lol. Again, thanks!!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:19 AM
glc
Received 775 Likes on 715 Posts
Yes, that's 9200# under ideal conditions. Keeping it to 7000# or under would be a good idea. A good brake controller and WD hitch is required.

Load up the truck with passengers and equipment that you would be taking with you on a trip and fill the gas tank. Go run it over a truck stop scale and subtract the weight from the GVWR on the door sticker, the difference is your max recommended trailer tongue weight. Multiply that number by 12% to get an estimate of max trailer weight. You can maximize this by loading all the equipment you can in the trailer instead of the truck.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Yes, that's 9200# under ideal conditions. Keeping it to 7000# or under would be a good idea. A good brake controller and WD hitch is required.

Load up the truck with passengers and equipment that you would be taking with you on a trip and fill the gas tank. Go run it over a truck stop scale and subtract the weight from the GVWR on the door sticker, the difference is your max recommended trailer tongue weight. Multiply that number by 12% to get an estimate of max trailer weight. You can maximize this by loading all the equipment you can in the trailer instead of the truck.
Yeah, that is what I was told to keep it around 7k, but was not sure if that meant with my truck empty with no passengers or gear. I am not sure where a local weighing station would be other than the ones I've seen off the highway ran by the state. I'll see if I can find one. From experience has any one with a 5.4 screw Fx4 know the numbers of what the max they were able to tow without issue?

Old 02-15-2013, 10:07 PM
glc
Received 775 Likes on 715 Posts
Most truck stops (Flying J, Pilot, Loves, Petro, TA, etc.) have scales. Should cost you about 10 bucks to get it weighed. Lumber yards often have them too.

Your max tow is payload limited. Can't give you an exact number without a weight and the GVWR.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 PM
I used to tow this pig around with no issues as long as I had the WD hitch on. It is not on in the picture

Boat alone weighs 7700 with fuel
Name:  Boat.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  188.4 KB

I could only imagine a fx4 doing the job even better

Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 AM
thanks all for the information.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Your biggest issue is going to be your payload capacity. It's gone before you know it. 150 driver is included but you have to pull out extra passengers, the weight of anything in your bed (coolers, tools, bike, generator, etc) weight of your weight distribution hitch, truck accessories (step bars, bed cover, etc). You are probably going to be under 1,000 pounds of actual payload. This has to cover your tongue weight. That's why I'm saying keep your wet tongue weight to about 700 pounds.

Quick Reply: 04 FX4 SCREW 5.4 and Travel Trailer?