Towing & Hauling

2004 F150 Screw - Making a better tow vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 F150 Screw - Making a better tow vehicle.

I've been making upgrades to tow our families Travel Trailer. Here are the specs on what I've done and the trailer specs. I built my truck up for, what I think, is maximum towing stability and will be towing with all these goodies this upcoming tow season.

I'm looking for validation that my truck can handle it, based on the upgrades and/or some suggestions on how I could improve it.

I've heard many folks on other forums say I should move to a HD truck but I'm not convinced it's the right move. Mainly because I do not want to go into another truck payment since this one is already paid for. If "I must" then so be it but I wanted to get the opinion of folks here since I feel you would know best about the F150 and its capabilities more then any other forum.

Enough ramble ... here are the specs:

Trailer:
  • Palomino Solaire 317BHSK
  • Dry Weight: 6,726 lbs
  • GVWR: 8625 lbs
  • Dry Hitch Weight: 625 lbs
  • WD Hitch Installed
  • Loaded Weight ~8000 lbs

Truck:
  • 2004 F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L
  • Mileage: 91663.3
  • Tow Hitch (Frame mounted Draw-Tite)
  • Brake Controller
  • 7/4 way trailer plug
  • 2” Autospring Leveling Kit Front
  • 3” Rear Blocks (so the truck sits slightly raked)
  • Shocks (Bilstein)
  • 17in Wheels
  • 33" Tires Nitto Terra Grappler E Rated (LT275/70/17)
  • Yukon Gears 4.10 ratio front and rear (stock were 3.55) (NEW)
  • Mag Hytec rear differential cover (NEW)
  • Mag Hytec High Capacity Transmission pan (NEW)
  • Timbrens load helpers
  • Extra Transmission cooler (stock one is in there too) (NEW)
  • Magnaflow Exhaust (cat back, dual tail pipes)
  • Upgraded front brake pads and rotors
  • New remanufactured calipers w/ SS lines
  • New Polyurethane Front sway bar bushings (NEW)
  • Hellwig Rear sway bar (NEW)
  • Edge Programmer (Needed for the new tire size and differential changes)
  • Cargo: Me(180#), Wife(100#), Kids(180#), Dog(100#), etc (?#)

I had the K&N CAI installed but went back to stock w/widened intake (saw the mod here) because of the resonance coming from the engine bay (I already added a resonator to the magnaflow).

I had most of this on the truck when I got the trailer around October and got 4 trips in ... no real drama but a bit of sway and some trouble with power delivery up a few hills (this is why I re-geared and got the sway bar during the off-season).

Thanks in advance for the input/comments/criticism, I welcome it all.

Here's a pic of my rig (click for a bigger image):

Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 AM
8600 make you right on the truck max capacity or a little over.
yes you'll get to the trailer max for sure....even fully empty(dry), trailer are over the "manufacturer empty weight" by quite a lot!

it will be good..but you're at the limit.

any helper parts help...but don't change anything to your truck rating.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:36 PM
To the OP, in the same boat. I tow a 6000# 30 foot TT. I am going to spend my money where I can find the better deal. However, my wife is pushing for the 3/4 ton truck as she puts it, the larger truck will allow us to purchase a different trailer when the time comes. So I am looking at spec built F150s and new and used F250s.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Well I guess we'll see how she tows in the next few weeks ... hoping we get to start camping end of march/early april ... just waiting until the overnight temps go up a bit so I don't have to winterize the TT again.

Talked to a few trailer & RV places and they are a mixed bag. Sales is a joke but the RV tech said if I'm easy on her she will last as long as I want her to but if I try to push it I'd be in the shop for tranny rebuilds. Last thing my mechanic said was to "drive her till she breaks" ... that way I would know for sure I got my money outta her. Then he gave me the same advice the RV tech did.

I'll be sure to post up some tow reports when the season starts ... Thanks guys ... see ya out there.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:10 PM
i would think a shift kit would make a big dif. and there only like 500-600$. and lower gears you probably got 4.10 you if your towing 3.73 is the way to go. with the gear and shift kit you will see a big difference and get a intake for sure go on ebay 30 bucks same thing as a kn..

Old 03-03-2013, 06:38 PM
i think you could use some extra helpers in the rear to!!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:23 AM
glc
Received 775 Likes on 715 Posts
I would me more concerned about exceeding the GVWR of the truck. No mods can increase that. The weight of the truck, loaded up with a full tank of gas and everything that will be in the cab and bed, plus the tongue weight, should not exceed the GVWR on the door jamb sticker. Do people exceed GVWR? Yes, frequently - but you have to be aware that if something bad were to happen you may leave yourself open to liability issues.

Amsoil tranny fluid will help a bit. It can run hotter before breaking down.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Hi,

Originally Posted by glc
I would me more concerned about exceeding the GVWR of the truck. No mods can increase that. The weight of the truck, loaded up with a full tank of gas and everything that will be in the cab and bed, plus the tongue weight, should not exceed the GVWR on the door jamb sticker. Do people exceed GVWR? Yes, frequently - but you have to be aware that if something bad were to happen you may leave yourself open to liability issues.

Amsoil tranny fluid will help a bit. It can run hotter before breaking down.
Thinking the same thing. When I worked over the Trailer Specs from the manufacturer I thought the hitch weight was low. I go with 15% of loaded or wet weight. 8000 wet equals 1200# of tongue going against the payload. IIRC, 2004-2008 MYs only had 1500ish payload.

In my experience, I found after two seasons of towing my 30 footer around a bigger truck is my future. However, I think we should all have the opportunity the learn. I know after my last trip, having a bigger truck would have made my trip more enjoyable. (i.e. less monitoring of the truck's vitals so I didn't harm the mechanical components. Better highway entrance performance. etc) In a rare feat, the wife agreeing to need for the larger TV.

GL to the OP in his camping adventures and learning curve that goes with it.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Power wise you should be fine but like the others have mentioned you are more than likely over your GVWR and possibly your rear axle rating. The GVWR, rear axle rating and payload are the weak links when towing with 1/2 tons.. My trailer is only 7500lbs loaded and even with my truck having the max tow pkg I'm still pushing it to my trucks limit of 7700lbs. I have less than a 200lbs before i reach my trucks GVWR and I'm not even close to my trucks max tow rating is 11,200lbs.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Your tires take away some of the gains from the gear change. Your lift takes away some of the control increasing sway so your gonna want dual sway at a minimum. Most people are pretty bummed when they find out they can't actually tow anywhere near their max tow rating because no one balances a trailer so you can make it happen

Quick Reply: 2004 F150 Screw - Making a better tow vehicle.