Towing & Hauling

5th wheel wiring provisions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th wheel wiring provisions

My GMC had a 5th wheel harness tucked up under the frame if you needed an outlet in the bed of the truck. Does Ford tuck one up under the bed if you have the max tow package?

Old 03-28-2013, 12:20 AM
All of the ones we have done in the last few years have however we almost never use them as no one wants a large hole cut in their truck. So most run the plug over the tail gate and plug it in the back. Also it is stubbed out at the drivers side front corner so not any closer then using the rear plug.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:14 PM
Pigtailed

Originally Posted by 1mainiac
All of the ones we have done in the last few years have however we almost never use them as no one wants a large hole cut in their truck. Also it is stubbed out at the drivers side front corner so not any closer then using the rear plug.
I am not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying the wiring harness I am trying to find, is up near the front of the truck bed?

So when it gets warmer, if I crawl under my F150 with max tow, I should find a wiring harness tied to some frame member near the front of the bed on the driver's side? [/QUOTE]

So most run the plug over the tail gate and plug it in the back.
Is the 5th wheel wiring long enough to go over the tailgate and into the trailer electrical connector?

I went to You Tube, and most all the videos cut a 2" hole into the side of the truck bed to put the electrical connector to plug in a 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:37 PM
Yes all the GM Ford and Dodge trucks that have one put it on the drivers side frame rail forward of the rear axle often in front of the fuel tank. I have not used one in a long time we almost never install plugs in the box anymore. We delivered 3 5th wheels today and I have to send another out tomorrow none had a plug in the box. here is a simple plug and play option if you want. http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...leid=201314973

Most of our customers don't want any holes in their trucks at all so we don't drill where we don't have to. With all the extended pin boxes it is really not needed to put a plug in the box on most trucks anymore.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Most of our customers don't want any holes in their trucks at all so we don't drill where we don't have to. With all the extended pin boxes it is really not needed to put a plug in the box on most trucks anymore.
WOW! Exactly the opposite of our customers. We install on average about 10 plugs in the bed a week. But, we do install about 90% gooseneck hitches compared to 5'ers. We are more of a commercial/agriculture than a camper shop.
The main reason is not running the wire over the tail gate. This way if the plug falls out you don't have to rewire the trailer after dragging it off. It is just sitting in the bed and just gets plugged back in.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
WOW! Exactly the opposite of our customers. We install on average about 10 plugs in the bed a week. But, we do install about 90% gooseneck hitches compared to 5'ers. We are more of a commercial/agriculture than a camper shop.
The main reason is not running the wire over the tail gate. This way if the plug falls out you don't have to rewire the trailer after dragging it off. It is just sitting in the bed and just gets plugged back in.
I am not surprised most of the goose necks I do require a plug in the box. Nearly all the 5th wheels have extended pin boxes now along with almost never seeing a 8ft bed any more so the extended pin puts the trailer connection 18 to 26 in behind the pin vs 8 to 10 in for most goose necks. A correctly installed plug won't fall out and a sealed 7 way replacement is about 20 to 30 bucks if you do mess it up.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Love the 8' bed

I am not surprised most of the goose necks I do require a plug in the box. Nearly all the 5th wheels have extended pin boxes now along with almost never seeing a 8ft bed any more so the extended pin puts the trailer connection 18 to 26 in behind the pin vs 8 to 10 in for most goose necks. A correctly installed plug won't fall out and a sealed 7 way replacement is about 20 to 30 bucks if you do mess it up.
BBBBut, I have an 8' bed.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Harley Rider
BBBBut, I have an 8' bed.
BBBBut you never said that. We have only done around 50 to 60 trucks so far this year and I have not seen a 8ft bed yet this year. Most of the F150's we see are Screw and 5.5ft beds. Last week was the first setup this year that required a plug in the box. That was because it was a older trailer with a short cord.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:08 PM
glc
Received 775 Likes on 715 Posts
Yes he did (indirectly), look at his sig.

Quick Reply: 5th wheel wiring provisions