Towing & Hauling

Towing up hills

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing up hills

I am a newbie at towing. I am towing about 1,800 pounds. I have a 5.4L, 4R70W automatic trans, 3.55 gears. I have overdrive transmission. When I go up hills 6-8% grade do I need to take it out of overdrive to go up the hills or put it in 2nd gear? I usually travel between speeds of 50-65 mph. When going up hills what do you need to do? I don’t want to wear my tranny out. Thanks

Old 07-31-2002, 11:00 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If it's truely 1800 pounds, you will not even know it's there.
If you feel the tranny hunting then take it out of OD.
There is no need for you to shift into 2nd.

Old 07-31-2002, 03:25 PM
An 8% grade is a pretty good pull. It won't stay in OD, so that's not an issue; and if it will pull at 65 in direct, you don't have an issue -- unless it's at the point where the torque convertor is not locked-up; in which case, you need to be in second (so that the convertor will stay locked) -- but 65 in second will drive you nutz -- so...

Just use whatever gear feels good and keeps the torque convertor locked.

Old 08-03-2002, 12:14 PM
We have a 6500 Lb 5th wheel travel trailer. When I am pulling up any size grade I keep the engine at 3500 RMP's regardless of speed. This is where my 4.6 makes it's most torque.

Old 08-05-2002, 10:07 AM
Thanks for your input. More the better.

Old 08-08-2002, 01:38 AM
As far as I know, the tq converter only stays locked in OD and 3rd. Second is unlocked. 1800 pounds is light so keep her in OD and let the tranny shift on it's own. You should have no problems. Lock out OD if it "hunts" between OD and 3rd often.

Old 08-09-2002, 12:14 PM
C9x
I have an 02 SuperCrew equipped same as yours.
5.4L, auto, 3.55 diff.
Completely stock.

First part of July we towed a 32 roadster on a car trailer - total trailer weight about 3600# over the famed Ridge Route.
I-5 out of the San Joaquin Valley into L.A.

Ambient temps were right around 101 degrees f.

I did shut off the A/C and selected the trans into 3rd at the beginning of the subtle 6 mile upgrade leading to the steep - 6% if memory serves - 5 mile grade.

No problems, engine ran cool enough according to the stock Ford temp gauge.

I was able to maintain 60 mph most of the way up and got slowed to 25 by large trucks a couple of times.
The SuperCrew recovered to 60 mph with no problems.

Following week, same scenario although this time with a 50 Plymouth coupe on board the trailer which brought the weight total on the trailer to about 4600# and maybe 4800# considering the extra parts on board.

This time around, during a valley heat wave that was 101 f. when we left home in the afternoon.
I'd have left earlier in lower temps, but there was no choice.

Ambient temp by the time we hit Bakersfield was 109, cooling down to 107 by the time we hit the 6 mile grade leading to the steep 5 mile grade.

Did the same as last time, 3rd gear, shut off the air - temps were still at 107 at the bottom of the hill - and was able to maintain 60 per and do the recovery bit from 20 mph a couple of times.

Again, no problems and the engine stayed cool.
Looks like the trans did ok both times, but with no temp gauge there, no can tell.

Returning home with an empty car trailer from the last trip and still in a middle of the day heat wave, we left the A/C on and no problems.

I am a little suspect of Ford temperature gauges.
In the last three Fords I've owned none of them seemed to move the gauge very much if at all.
It was interesting to see the 3/4 ton 77 4x4 with 400-M engine move the mechanical S-W temp gauge around during climbs and the Ford gauge never moved.

In any event, the new truck tows well and giving it the acid test during a serious heat wave proves it to be a well thought out package.

I understand there are inline temp gauge fittings available and am wondering where they're sold.

I am capable of making my own fittings, but if they are avalable for a reasonable price, it's a good time saver to just buy one instead of whittling on the lathe for a couple of hours.

C9

Trending Topics

Old 08-09-2002, 03:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down Stock Guages

The new Ford gauges are just idiot lights for the most part. They set them up to NOT move because so many people were bringing in their vehicles with concerns that they were overheating or had oil pump problems……..

Basically, they will only move when you have zero pressure, or are already overheating. Too late at that point to do anything…….

I’m going to be getting some real gauges soon, but you will have to keep the stock ones functional, as they are connected to the computer too. Going to figure out how to “T” into the oil and water temp locations and then add an inline one for the tranny. I know that the mechanical gauges are best, but I just want to be able to monitor the temp ranges, so the electric ones will do me fine.

Quick Reply: Towing up hills