Towing & Hauling

Increase towing power

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Increase towing power

I tow a bass boat and was wondering if there is anyway to increase the pulling power. The truck seems to run hard when towing up mountains, maybe this is normal, the truck runs at 3200 RPM's going up hills.

Any advise on how to increase the pulling power?

4.6L, Auto, 3.55 gears, SCab

Old 08-11-2002, 02:50 PM
Hi Nitro

Just read all the stuff here on increasing HP etc. Engine/computer bd. etc.

Best three bangs for the buck....air intake/cat-back exhaust/schip. As mentioned before
rear axle ratio (gears), also headers...list goes on and on.

Just read on.. They all give increases...some more than others. How much increase=how big is you wallet

Good luck...OT

BTW...probably for what you hauling...3 best bangs is a good starter.

Old 08-11-2002, 07:00 PM
Thanks, Old Timer. Looks like the wallet is going to get a little lite.

Old 08-11-2002, 11:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

3200 rpms is right around where you are getting your peak torque in the 4.6. Sounds like it's doing what it's supposed to do. If you want to lower your rpms, but have more power, you will have to add mods that will gain you more low end torque.

Most of those items OT suggested "should" gain you some low end, but just watch out for where the actual gains are and at what rpm they are achieved at. If they are over 4000, then it's not really going to do you much good towing. Going down a drag strip, maybe, but towing needs LOW END power!

I'd say, try a good cat back system first. You'd want to change the exhaust anyway, so might as well start there.

I've got the Gibson Swept Side, and it's a big improvement over the stock system. It's not a sound improvement, compared to something like a Flowmaster, but I feel it gave me some additional low end power where I needed it.

Quick Reply: Increase towing power