Towing & Hauling

Desert Towing Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 04:09 PM
kco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Desert Towing Advice

I am looking for advice on towing under extreme conditions. Specifically I tow my boat (approx 3500lbs) from California to Nevada numerous times during the summer season. This involves several significant climes grade 6-8% for several miles in 105+ degree whether. I have a 2002 F150 5.4 w/ 3.55 rear end, and the standard Ford tow package. From reading this board, I have realized that the stock Ford Temp gages are inadequate to truly monitor your vehicle & transmission health during such times. I figure the best I can do is to drive in way that puts minimum stress and heat on the transmission. I just don’t know what that is. All suggestions would be appreciated.

One additional question, how do I know when the torque converter is “unlocked” while I am towing?

Thanks
Kevin

Old 08-19-2002, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Kevin

Yes, right now its hot, dry and always dusty here.

I assume you have the a/t with external (aux) cooler. A temp. guage would be a big plus.

When you make a stop...check the a/t fluid..for smell/color. Have a spare air filter. It amazing how quick they can clog here. Check tire psi...here in our climate it fluctuates..meaning when it gets cold..pressure drops..when it gets hot..pressure climbs...best to check when temp. reasonably stable..that could be early am or late pm? Also spare tire truck/trailer.

Also bug screen to protect radiator etc. Had big time crickets here and screen sure kept rad. from clogging. Plus makes it alot easier to clean the front end. I dont use that all the time..just long trips. I use screen in front of rad (behind grille) full time.

I tow, sometimes close to max. GCWR...over mts/high elev. etc, havent had a overheating problem, so far! Stock cooling.

Some use synthetic oils..tranny/engine.

We dont all drive/tow the same...so what works for one maynot work for the other. I know my limitaions...if in OD and coming to hill i shift into 3rd..and let the a/t do its job. I dont like going into low (1st) but have. Maybe 20mph...not enough HP etc.

For me it took awhile to learn about this a/t. Last ride had 5sp.
The a/t is electronically controlled...its pretty smart
Anyhow...hard for me to describe but lets say your in OD..and you feel tranny shifting (unlocking)..it maynot be going into 3rd...but going in between 3rd/OD..kinda like another gear..but not really...theres a tech. reason for this..multiflying factor etc..(I forgot) Then if more power required its gonna shift down to 3rd, etc.

Hopefully i said that right, if not, corrections accepted. If you have tach. watch it...otherwise you still can tell by feel and engine sounds.

Just some tips..maybe you'll get more?

Good luck...OT

Quick Reply: Desert Towing Advice