Towing & Hauling

New Truck Towing... F150 Supercrew

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Truck Towing... F150 Supercrew

As many of you may know, I purchased a new F-150 4X4 Supercrew 5.4 FX4 with the tow package, 3.55LS and all that good stuff.. I have just about 1300 miles on her now and I am looking at towing a 19 foot ridgid framed camper to Garner this weekend with the wife for some floatin and drinkin.

One of my concerns is that I just want to make sure I'm not towing too early. Additionally, should I maybe change the oil - i.e. do the engines that come from the factory today come with a "break-in" type of oil (some used to) and should I or do I need to just go ahead and get it flushed with regular oil if this is still the case?

Or, should I just not worry about it and assume all is Ok. If I had already changed the oil and if I had a few thousand miles on her already, I wouldn't worry about it but, she is new and I don't want to accidentally do something stupid in the long run, if you know what I mean.. Man, what a run-on sentence!

Thanks in advance for the inputs!

Chris (ReelWork)

Old 08-22-2002, 03:55 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
They don't use 'break-in' oil.
I changed mine at 5k and every 5k thereafter.

purrs at 56k

I towed after 1k but, only because I didn't need to until then.
I'd say tow away but, others are more overly cautious.

Old 08-22-2002, 04:07 PM
You should be fine with such a small piece behind you. If you were approaching the towing limit I might be more wary. I have heard many variations on the break in period, but you should be all well and good if you don't overdo it with lots of hills or overload the thing.

I would say you should have no problem. If these trucks aren't ready for towing off the lot, then what are trucks for? Imagine all the work trucks out there that couldn't be used until the break in period has passed.

Old 08-22-2002, 04:56 PM
I think I had 350 miles on mine before I towed anything with it. At 1300, you shouldn't have a thing in the world to be worried about (as far as the truck's drivetrain goes).

Old 08-22-2002, 07:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

I've always heard the magic number for a new truck before towing was 500 miles. That's just to break in the rear end gears more then anything.

I'd go ahead and change the motor oil too. Who knows how long it's been in there. Just use some good dino oil for now. If you want to switch to Syn later on, that's always an option.

I switched to syn at 85k miles. Wish I had done it sooner!

Old 08-22-2002, 09:04 PM
Thanks Guys...

I appreciate your inputs.. I don't think I was going to cancel the trip but I just wanted to make sure!

Thanks Again,

Chris (ReelWork)

Quick Reply: New Truck Towing... F150 Supercrew