Towing & Hauling

Need some new rubber...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some new rubber...

...on my wife's 99SC 4X4 off road with 17" wheels. We tow a 26 foot Prowler that weighs about 5600#. The truck still has the original Wranglers.

The only off roading we do is moving the trailer in/out/up/down, and wife is a pastor who drives some gravel roads. We want good winter traction, but something a bit more quiet/soft would be nice.

I've read the posts in the general section, but I'd like the opinions of the towing crowd.

Peace, Dennis

Old 08-26-2002, 07:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get some Michelins they should work well for what you use it for.

Old 08-26-2002, 10:25 PM
I'd suggest BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A. They are very quiet, and excellent in the snow and rain and have a D load rating. I've got them on my wife's Jeep, and I couldn't be happier. (well if she'd let me take it mudding, I'd be happier, but then I'd put mud terrains on.) I run BFGoodrich Land Terrains on my truck, they are a bit more aggressive than the Long Trails, but not as agressive as the ATs. They are only a C load range, but I only tow occationally, so that wasn't a concern for me.

Michelin's should be good too, (they are the parent company of BFGoodrich Tires) but I don't have any personal excperience with them.

I will not under any circumstances put Goodyear's or Firestone tires on any of my vehichles. I've has nothing but absolute **** poor performance and handling out of them.

Old 08-28-2002, 11:06 PM
Bridgestone Dueler AT or APT unless you want to crack open the wallet a little wider for the Michelin's. The ride would be nicer on the Michelin's but the tread isn't quite as meaty. Get load range D (or even E) tires and not C since you pull the load. They will perform better under load with less give.

Old 09-04-2002, 10:24 AM
I would go for the BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A, they are a very good tire for the $.

If you have a Sam's club near you check the prices there (i may be a little bias on that one, i work there part time putting on tires).

I know we have very little trouble with the BFG'S.

The truck i have came with a new set of Dayton tires, i like them but when i wear them out i am going for the Long Trail T/A.

Old 09-04-2002, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got some TOYO 265/70R17 tires, and I have to say they're great! Treadwear is good on them so far, and they come with a 50,000 mile warranty. I had a set of the Bridgestone Duelers, but they only got me 18,000 miles! To top it all off, the dealer closed, so I was out of luck. Toyo's ran me $520 with some change, but I think it was worth it. I tow about 7500-8000 occasionally, and I do some off-roading. So far, they've taken everything I've thrown at them and come out shining. (perhaps not literally, but you get the point )

-Flea

Quick Reply: Need some new rubber...