Towing & Hauling

Towing capacity - Auto vs Manual

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing capacity - Auto vs Manual

I'm a newbie here, and I have a question.

I have a 1997 F150 with 4.2L 5-speed 3.08 gears and no trailer tow package. My owners manual states a max trailer tow weight in the 2000 lb area.

The max trailer tow weight for the same truck with the auto trans is almost 5000lbs. What is the limitation with the manual trans? Any ideas?

Obviously the engine and rear axle are capable of the 5000lb capacity, so what is the deal with the manual trans? The manual must be capable of handling the torque produced by the engine, so is it simply a heat management issue?

Do later model year trucks have the same problem with the manual trans?

Very curious

KaosII

Old 09-03-2002, 04:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down

Yeah, even a 4.6 v-8 with the 5-speed has only like a #3800 towing capacity. 3.08 gears are not really good for towing anything other then a small utility trailer, IMO (auto or manual). I think it’s due to the fact that the 5-speed clutches are just weak. They don’t have the same clutch pressure as the old days when a manual was rated to tow MORE then an automatic……. Compare the effort needed to push in the clutch of an early ‘70s 4 speed to that of the current 5 speeds. They build ‘em now so that everything is ‘easy’ to shift. Even the automatics are set to shift ‘smooth’ so that it’s like driving a Honda. At least with the auto, you can actually tow something with these “trucks”………….

Old 09-03-2002, 11:13 PM
So what would happen if I replaced the clutch with an aftermarket unit (does centerforce make one that fits?), and installed a 3.73 gear? Would I be able to tow more?

Maybe I'm an idiot, but what are the consequences of exceeding the GCWR? Are you not allowed to legally tow above the GCWR? Can you get pulled over and fined? Or is it just very hard on the vehicle?

Also, if I have a problem towing a trailer with the 3.08 gears, why couldn't I just use 4th gear on the highway instead of 5th?

KaosII

Old 09-04-2002, 02:35 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Not really sure on the aftermarket clutches. I've not heard of any “miracle” cure for the late model 5-speeds. While gears will help, it’s not so much the cruising speed that kills a tranny (or clutch). It’s starting from a dead stop that’s the killer. Just like a ten speed bike. It’s harder to get moving in say 5th gear, but once you get rolling, it’s easier to maintain a cruising speed.

Going over the GCWR is mostly just harder on the vehicle, but it is not very safe either. I don’t know that you would get pulled over and weighed like the 18 wheelers do, but an insurance company could have a good argument of voiding a claim for an accident if it was proven you were overweight. I’m no expert on this, but that’s the first thing I would look at, if I were a claims adjuster……

It’s also not really a matter of ‘going’, but it’s stopping as well. Even with trailer brakes, the tow vehicle has to handle a lot more forces when towing.

Maybe Ford just posts a very low tow rating for the 5-speeds to make people buy the automatics and larger engines???? Reading in the Transmissions Forum may shed some more light on this topic. I just remember reading a lot of posts complaining about the ‘ruggedness’ of the 5-speeds, and Fords tow rating for them seems to justify that too.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Old 09-04-2002, 11:21 PM
I know everyone says the clutch is weak on these trucks but I have a 5 spd with the 4.6. It has 90000 miles on it and I tow a trailer that's 4500 - 5000 lbs mabye 1500 - 2000 miles a year. I'm on my original clutch. I know that's not beating on it but it can handle some towing. The big problem I have is with the 3.55 gears even in 4th gear it doesn't have much reserve power and with the a/c on it has none. I have towed it from Detroit to Philly and back but I was in 3rd up the mountains. I never tow that much weight in 5th. The other big problem are the passenger car tires. You really have to be careful with the tongue weight and keep your speed reasonable. I think better clutches are available but why replace it until it fails?

Old 09-15-2002, 07:27 PM
I tow my 5.0 mustang super street race car which weights 2940 lbs + 1700 lb all steel tandem trailer w/ my 98' 4x4 reg cab 4.2 5spd w/ 3.55's and really have not had any problems yet ,but then I have not tackled any steep hills say starting 1/2 way up which might be a problem for the clutch .Just don't get on it hard and just roll out I found is best when starting but once your going no problem at all.
Centreforce does now make a dual friction clutch for the 4.2 which has a 90% greater holding capacity ,so this may be the cure we are looking for .I will be switching to this one once mine is done.

Quick Reply: Towing capacity - Auto vs Manual