Towing & Hauling

How to find list of tag-a-longs and 5ers for a 150

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 03:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to find list of tag-a-longs and 5ers for a 150

I am looking at buying an F150 SuperCrew with a 5.4L and 355 RE. I wanted to find what I wanted to tow before I bought the truck. I really like the F150 SuperCrew. An F250 Crew Cab with a short bed and a 7.3D is a big truck for an everyday vehicle and I don't want to listen to it, smell it, they are expensive, and I can't get it in my garage. But, it's a real working truck that should get good mileage with no limit to what I can tow with it . . . I'm really torn.

Rather than going thru each vendor and trying to find a rig at or under 5000lbs . . . is there a place on the net to look for these rigs by weight?

I have been shopping for a used RV model, but it's a long process and there don't seem to be a lot of choices in the 5000lb or under category. I really like a Komfort 27TS or FS, but that's just too much for a 150 I think.

Thanks,

Tom

Old 09-15-2002, 08:11 AM
Tom,

I am familiar with your dilema. You are correct about the 150's towing limitations. I urge you to keep looking and stay within the 5,000 dry weight limit. You will eventually find a trailer that is perfect for you.

I can't point you to an online guide of suitable trailers, but Yahoo has a discussion group called RVSUVclub where many people are towing with 1/2 ton class vehicles. You might want to see what they are pulling.

I'm currently thinking of an F-350 PSD dually as my next tow vehicle. Not only will it not fit in my garage, but it will take up so much space on my driveway or street that I will probably have to move out of my neighborhood!

Dino

Old 09-15-2002, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the reference

Thanks, I'll check it out.

You'll see that this (my) question got posted about three times, after I posted it I used my back button and it kept re-posting it cuz I didn't know what I was doing.

Tom

Old 09-15-2002, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the reference

Thanks, I'll check it out.

You'll see that this (my) question got posted about three times, after I posted it I used my back button and it kept re-posting it cuz I didn't know what I was doing.

Tom

Old 09-19-2002, 02:42 PM
Tom - I recently purchased a Terry Dakota Ultralite 5th wheel. 28 feet, full slide - 5600 lbs dry. All indications are that it is light because it is aluminum frame and they paid attention to the details, not because it is cheaply put together. They make several trailers in this series as well - the 30' trailer is the same weight - 5600 lbs dry. Fleetwood RV is the manufacturer.

I was a little skeptical at first as to the ability of my truck to handle it - 2001 F150, 5.4, 3.55LS - but have been pleasantly surprised. I live in Oregon, and went over the Cascades first trip out. Miles of 6% grade - went over the top at 45 MPH, 2900 RPM, third gear around half throttle.

I put some good mono tube gas shocks on to cut down on some of the soft feel, and have been really pleased with the ride. Good luck in your search.

Bryan

Old 10-09-2002, 02:54 PM
94 F150 4x4 pulling 5th wheel

I have a 1994 F150 4x4 and am in the process of purchasing a Coachman 5th wheel travel trailer. I believe the TT is right at 6,000 lbs. Any problems here? Thank you.

Old 10-24-2002, 10:08 PM
Thumbs up

Two great forum sites dealing with trucks, towing and travel trailers:
http://www.rv.net/forum/
http://www.rvadvice.com/main.html

Quick Reply: How to find list of tag-a-longs and 5ers for a 150