Towing & Hauling

Trailer wiring fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Trailer wiring fiasco

I went out and bought a class 3 hitch for my 97 F-150 and of course inquired about the wiring. Guy at the local U-haul says, "Oh they have a plug that goes right into the existing harness." Cool great idea. He comes back with a package but it only goes up to a 96 but he says it should work. So off I go to install everything, NOT!
No problem installing the hitch but the plug, oh oh tabs don't line up. Back I go to the U-haul. He says well just pop the tabs off and try it and if it doesn't work bring it back for a refund. Popped the tabs plugged it in and went to pick up a trailer. Plugged in the trailer turned the lights and 4-ways. POOF! Great now I'm stuck in a boat dealers yard and can't move my truck. Blew 3 fuses one of which was the tranny lock. !@@#!@@%&%##. after a fun time of playing find the right fuse socket I got moving again. Went to Ford to ask about a plug and they couldn't find it and off I went looking all over. I finally ended up at a small trailer shop 40 miles from home only to find out the 97 came prewired from the factory.
Looked all over for the plug finally found the wires had been broken off by a previous owner and were sitting up inside the plastic harness. It only took 10 minutes to wire a plug to it.
Just had to share this little fiasco.

Old 09-13-2002, 06:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Live and learn what else can I say

Old 09-14-2002, 12:52 AM
I say: Avoid U-Haul!!!

I bought my hitch there. It's a really nice tubular hitch, but the price and service were disgraceful.

They have no idea what they are talking about with hitches, coolers, wiring...... They're morons.

They are also lazy and rude. When I was checking on hitches, I called 3 times and the phone would just ring and ring. After about 10 minutes of ringing, on my 3rd attempt, a young girl answered. I asked if they had a particular hitch in stock and she told me they were too busy to look. I asked if she would be any help at all of I came down there. She said: customers in the store have priority.

When I went down there, I found a ditzy, blond teenager doing her nails while the phone rang and rang!!! While she did her nails, the manager yelled at customers not to open boxes.

Never, ever, ever use U-Haul!!!

Tom56,

When you blow the fuse for your brake lights, the shifter will not come out of Park as usual. If you don't have another fuse, or if it's another problem, there is a way around the shift interlock.

What you need to do is remove the key from the ignition cylinder completely. Put the key back in the cylinder and turn it only until you feel the first click. You can then move the shift lever into Neutral and start the engine. You'll need to do this all over again each time you put it in Park, until it's fixed. This will get you out of trouble if you lose your brake lights in the middle of nowhere though.

Old 09-16-2002, 07:48 AM
Never, ever, ever use U-Haul!!!

Tom56,

When you blow the fuse for your brake lights, the shifter will not come out of Park as usual. If you don't have another fuse, or if it's another problem, there is a way around the shift interlock.

What you need to do is remove the key from the ignition cylinder completely. Put the key back in the cylinder and turn it only until you feel the first click. You can then move the shift lever into Neutral and start the engine. You'll need to do this all over again each time you put it in Park, until it's fixed. This will get you out of trouble if you lose your brake lights in the middle of nowhere though. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey thanks for that info. I could have saved myself a little aggravation if I knew.
Cheers Tom

Old 09-16-2002, 05:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can say that again about using uhaul as the trailer I towed messed up the bumper when I jack knifed the first time I backed up the trailer.

Quick Reply: Trailer wiring fiasco