Towing & Hauling

New TT purchase pending

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New TT purchase pending

OK guys - I am about to make a BIG step up (from a 10' popup camper to a 27'TT). I have been reading up on fun things like load levelling/weight distributing hitches and brake controllers. I have decided to go with what seems to be the #1 recommended (from what I have read) Tekonsha Prodigy. The best price I have found on it is $117.99 at RJays. Does anyone have experience with this company who can give me some feedback on them? Also, it looks like this is a pretty painless DIY install on my rig. Is that the case?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 10-02-2002, 02:31 PM
I have a Tekonsha Prodigy in my 98. Works like a champ, you won't be disappointed.

Old 10-02-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by flafonman
I have a Tekonsha Prodigy in my 98. Works like a champ, you won't be disappointed.
That is the consensus I got from my research. How does the price I posted sound, and do you know anything about that company?

Old 10-02-2002, 04:22 PM
I haven't had a chance to learn about the company because nothing ever went wrong!

I got a better price on mine because it was part of a package deal for my hitch install (no factory towing package). I know everyone likes to bash UHaul, but the one near me did a great job. It helps that they do a ton of hitch installs there: It is one of the huge wharehouse/truck yard facilities that they have in metro areas. I would say use UHaul, but make sure you go to one of the big places.

Class III, Ball,Reciever, 4 pin to 6 pin harness, relays, and brake control unit installed 349.47 incl tax. Job done in less that 2 hours.

Old 10-02-2002, 04:36 PM
UHaul was actually the 1st place I called, believe it or not. The local ones don't sell the Prodigy, and if they did I am guessing that it would be high dollar, since they sell the Voyager for $111. I wasn't able to find any place locally that stocks the Prodigy, and the place I am getting my TT from said they could order it but their price would be more than $117. I figured that they would be a better deal than that since I am getting everything else from them, but guess not. Ah well. Anyone else have any input on best pricing on the Prodigy or on dealing with RJays?

Old 10-02-2002, 07:57 PM
Thumbs up

Your choice of controlers is good. I regularly tow a 31ft travel trailer. make sure that you use equalizer bars and some sort of sway control. you should check out the brake controler by Carlisle at www.carlislebrake.com I just recently seen them and probably would have looked into it when I bought my trailer.

Old 10-29-2002, 08:27 PM
Towing/Brake Controllers

The company you're looking at makes good electronic brake contollers.

I have the Voyager model. It was very easy to install, using the Ford factory provided wire connector, and the directions provided with the brake controller. Total self installation job took well under 2 hours.

Advice about getting a weight distributing hitch system and an anti-sway bar or device is very good advice. Even if your truck can handle the tongue weight of the TT without bottoming out, the weight distributing hitch system adds a much higher level of safety to your whole rig and peace of mind.

Quick Reply: New TT purchase pending