Towing & Hauling

4 pin to 4 pin, and a 7 pin?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4 pin to 4 pin, and a 7 pin?

Hello all,

This is actually LottaFords, seems I haven't been here enough in the last two years (hehe). I did a search but I couldn't find an answer to my questions below:

It's about the trailer light connections on my '01 SCrew.

I went to tow a boat recently and wouldn't you know it.. it's 4 pin, although the right gender, would not fit the mate on my truck due to the plastic skirt on the trailer conn! (It's my father's boat so I'm not going to trim.) So, is the fix as simple as finding the old styles (without the extra plastic) and wiring an adapter?

Also, like I said, my truck has a standard 4 pin attached to a flange off the bottom of the bumper and and also came with, in a plastic bag (with the brake harness/fuses/relays), a 7 pin to 4 adapter! Now why would they supply this unless I had a 7 pin on the truck to plug it in to?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The easiest thing to do - assuming you have the factory installed Class 3 trailer package on your truck - is waltz down to the local parts store and buy the 7 pin to 4 pin converter. Your trailer wiring harness will then plug right in to the end - no trimming required.

If you don't have the trailer package - and you just have the 4 pin connector under the bumper, you can buy a pigtail - at the same parts store - that has the trailer connector on one end and the vehicle connector on the other end. It's almost like an extension cord for your trailer. Plug it in and you're off and running!

Quick Reply: 4 pin to 4 pin, and a 7 pin?