How much can it tow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 12:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much can it tow?

I have a 1995 F150 XL Super cab
Engine: 5.8 V8 Auto tranny
*edit* - Two wheel driver (RWD)

It has a brake controller, so that means it can tow more...right?

3 questions:

1) How much is the truck able to tow?

2) Is the truck able to carry stuff in the box of the truck as well as the amount it is able to tow?

3) How does tyhe brake controller work anyways? It has this energize thing and it slides to the side and then the brake lights come on and turn off. I don't notice any other difference in the way the truck stops.

I don't tow anything. I was just wondering.

Thanks,

Pete

Old 10-16-2002, 09:32 AM
Welcome to the boards.

Check out the door post sticker on your truck it will help answer a few questions.
1) Your total towing capacity should be at least 7000#. Without knowing which rear-end you have it is hard to give a solid number.
2) You can carry stuff in the bed, and tow; however you have to consider the total load, refer to the door sticker for Gross Vehicle Weight, and load accordingly.
3)The brake control unit activates electric brakes on an attached trailer, it doesn't effect the braking abilities of the truck itself.

Sounds like you have a truck that has done some towing in the past, which may or may not be a good thing. Check your mechanicals out carefully, and ask around in engines and transmissions if you get stuck on someting regarding maintenace or mods. There are some really knowledgeable people there.

Old 10-16-2002, 08:01 PM
Great! Thanks for the help!

The truck used to tow a trailer home. An old guy used it for that. I replaced all of the ball joints, center link, bearings and a few other steering components because they had worn out on the truck. It should be all good now!

Thanks for the welcome!

Pete

Old 11-07-2002, 11:29 AM
Ummm your towing capacity is allways reduced by all that other stuff in the bed and passengers too. And then they even calculated it on level ground. So the math is rather extensive and you have to allow for any real mountain towing you may experience. So be conservative when you calculate that. You would be surprised by how much stuff adds up.

AND FOR HEAVENS SAKES NEVER EVER LISTEN TO THE TT DEALER!! he will say this "your truck will tow this just fine". Every time he will!

If I was a guessing man with the limited knowledge on truck you have and say with normal tires and 3.55 rear end I would try and locate a TT about 5000 to 5600 GVWR or less. No more. Better to stay just under or around 5K if you can. And you will need stabalizer system too in order to get that hitch up to class 4. You have an auxiliary tranny cooler? Like the towing package? You need one! Make sure.

Thats my advice.

Quick Reply: How much can it tow?