Towing & Hauling

Another brake controller Q?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another brake controller Q?

Ok - this isn't another "what kind should I get" post. I already have my controller (Tekonsha Prodigy) installed and everything. I was just wondering what everyone does when they aren't towing. Do you leave it all connected? Disconnect it and leave it mounted? Totally remove it from the truck? What? I used the pocket mount on mine so it can be easily removed if need be. So far I have been disconnecting mine and stowing it in the glove box. However, I wanted to see what everyone else was doing. Are there any concerns about leaving it connected all the time?

Jeff

Old 10-31-2002, 03:16 PM
Hi JDM

Guess thats just personal preference?

Mines been in for over two yrs. I just leave it mounted. I've had no problems with leaving it connected. I put a cloth sunglass cover over it when not using...helps keep clean.

It just below and slightly right of the lower dash storage opening.
That seems to work ok for me...of course my long arm helps.
Also i know where its at and dont have to look for it...i carry alot of stuff.

Good luck....OT

BTW....curious...i have the tek.voyager. Came with TT. Im aware of probably better units....hows your "prodigy" been?

Ive learned how to use this controller. However setting the voltage is really sensitive...just a REALLY slight movement of the adj.wheel can cause the brakes to lock up. I guess thats mainly me..it does work ok..just took me awhile to get used to it. My first TT.

Old 11-01-2002, 12:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

I just take my Prodigy out and store it in it's case inside the house. Works for me

OT, the Prodigy is wonderful in how it works. I had a cheap controller before, as I just thought "A controller is a controller..."

Well, all you have to do is set one dial to 6.0 volts when you fully activate the manual slid. Then just drive the thing. There are different "boost" levels, and this will make up for additional weight, but I find that boost level 1 works well for me. Gives smooth, yet firm braking. Not the ON/OFF breaking I had with the cheap one.

I basically paid full price for one. ($150), but it's well worth it in my view.

Old 11-05-2002, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

OT - another satisfied Prodigy owner here. Like Mitch said, you set it initially, and then just drive. It isn't like some other controllers where it has to be mounted horizontally, and you need to adjust it according to the grade that you may happen to be on. You just mount it somewhere between horizontal and 70 degrees, and don't worry about it. When I got to looking, the place I bought my TT from was going to put a Voyager in for about the same price I had found the Prodigy for online, so decided to go with the Prodigy.

Old 11-10-2002, 10:40 PM
Mounting..

I have a Tekonsha Envoy (firt brake controller I have ever had, love it) mounted in the pocket under the steering wheel. I just leave it mounted and connected.

Quick Reply: Another brake controller Q?