Towing & Hauling

Towing kit for expo

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing kit for expo

Good morning all. I am new to this board and have questions about my recently purchased 99 EB Expedition.

I own a 93 Cobra that I show and race. As I stated above my wife and I recently purchased an Expedition. It has a 5.4 and 3.31 rearend. I know that it will tow my car without any problems but it did not come with a towing package.

My questions are:

1st) Is it feasble to buy the auxillary trans cooler and lines that came factory equipped on f-150's and/or expeditions to install on mine. Where can I buy it? I have not found a place as of yet to buy this item. I have received a price for the receiver and 7 pin connector.

2nd) What type of rearend is in the Expeditions. I am pretty sure mine does not have the trak-loc and I want to buy a trak-loc carrier for my expo so that I can install it.

Old 11-06-2002, 12:04 PM
You'll have the 9.75 rear. If you are changing to a LS, I would recommend the Auburn gear unit over the trac-lok, which is pretty weak.

The factory cooler can be purchased, but you would need the lines as well. I tried to update my cooler to get the larger one that came with the 4R70 (I have 4R100) but found that the fittings don't match. It would be a lot easier (and cheaper) to get an aftermarket cooler.

Also, the towing pkg includes a heavier duty rad, so you may need to upgrade that as well.

Finally, I think the 3.31 is too tall for towing. You should look at a 3.73 or 4.10 gearset to get the revs up.

Ian

Old 11-06-2002, 02:19 PM
Where can I get an aftermarket transcooler?

I have had good luck with the factory trac-lok in my cobra (158k miles with many high rpm take-offs at the track) so I think no more than I will actually need it the factory LS carrier will do me.

Old 11-08-2002, 10:04 PM
Try www.jegs.com or www.summitracing.com . Either one would have a kit you could use.

Ian

Old 11-09-2002, 08:04 AM
I had already checked Summit and they did not have one. I will check jegs though.

Old 11-09-2002, 01:08 PM
Jeg's has them for sure (that's where I got mine).

Ian

Old 11-09-2002, 05:13 PM
I have 3.73 gears in my Expy, it tows fine, 7000 +lbs. If you keep the 3.31, be real easy on the throttle and you will NOT be able to tow in od. The rpm will be too low and the TQ converter would be locking and unlocking too much, building heat and would eventually kill the tranny. I bought a Screw a few months ago and it pulls a lot better than my Expy.

Quick Reply: Towing kit for expo