Towing & Hauling

Trailer Tow Option

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trailer Tow Option

Does the trailer tow option include more than a hitch and electrical plug? Is there an easy way to hook one up after the fact. Just curious if I should get a truck with this option or not. I think I may pull a trailer one day.

Rob

Old 11-18-2002, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it would be best to go ahead and get the factory option. That way, you get the bigger radiator, and transmission cooler. If you don't opt for it, you lose both of those, and you can put more undue stress on the engine and transmission.

-Flea

Old 11-18-2002, 03:47 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

It is among the few options that is clearly 'worth the dollar'.
Limited Slip and higher gear ratio option is another.
The power driver seat is money well spent.

Most everything else is fluff.

Don't waste money on tire upgrades, anything that doesn't come from the factory is better.
As a matter of fact, if you want better tires/wheels that Ford offers, you will find excellent deals at sites such as this, from people who got the upgrades and it wasn't enough.

Last edited by Raoul; 11-18-2002 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:43 PM
You should definately get the tow package. It is well worth the money.

Old 11-18-2002, 09:26 PM
go it and glad i did, get the option def worth the money, you get the tow hitch, mine came with the 5 pin and the heavy duity electrical hook ups, a bigger radiator and tranie cooler, and depending on what size engine your getting you may want to look into limited slip espec if your towing a boat....
wet launch ramps = slippery

Old 11-21-2002, 06:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd agree that the Class 3 Trailer Tow option is well worth the money, but you no longer get what used to be called "Super Duty Cooling" - aka a bigger radiator. There was a big flap in 1999 about folks paying for the 4 row radiator and only getting the 2 row. (My '99 had the good one.) Ford apparently decided that it could save money by only using one radiator.

If you check the Ford web site, I think you'll see that the package includes a Class II hitch, 7 pin / 4 pin connector, bigger battery, HD shocks and better transmission cooling depending on the engine you choose. It's still the best deal on the option sheet and far better than trying to add the stuff yourself later.

Quick Reply: Trailer Tow Option