Towing & Hauling

Flat towing question...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flat towing question...?

...Ok I currently have a full size Bronco that I looking to sell in the near future due to it's age, and circumstances.

Well, I am looking to replace it with an F-150, 4x2 with a V-8.
Preferably with the 5.4L.

This will be a daily as well as something to pick up stuff from Home Depot, or wherever.
The biggest concern I have is the following:

I have an 88' Suzuki Samurai that I want to flat tow to various sites to off-road including out of state trips to Moab, and such.

My wife and I are planning to probably get a new Lightning in the next 2-3 years, (Already had one, and know it can tow great!) but we have to get something a bit cheaper in the meantime.

I wondered if some of you may have experience in what would be the best bet for this type of towing?
The Sammi probably will be around 2200lbs, maybe a little more?
I don't currently have a trailer, but may have one eventually, which would add around 1000lbs more.

So concievably 3000#'s with gear, tires, people, ect...

I was thinking either a reg cab 150, or an ext. cab 150 with either the 4.6L, or 5.4...

Just curious if this is a good choice? Oh, and we are looking at 2000's, not a brand new one...

BTW, would love to have a P.S., but this is way above our budget for now....

Thanks for any input!

Old 12-03-2002, 07:44 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Flat towing question...?

Originally posted by Drkone
....probably get a new Lightning in the next 2-3 years, (Already had one, and know it can tow great!)...
The Lightning doesn't have the highest tow rating so, if it was great then any Triton V8 will do you, the cab doesn't matter that much either. So go with the best deal you find that suits your other needs besides towing.

Limit your choices like this:
1 - Automatic Transmission
2 - Gearing at least 3.55
3 - Factory Tow Package

If a vehicle meets those three then it qualifies as a suitable tow vehicle for what you posted.

Old 12-03-2002, 11:42 AM
I got the 4.6 with towing package and I have towed cars around town for short distances.

We also have a Colman pop-up trailer that we tow PLUS load the back of the bed with all our camping gear and it goes great up to Flagstaff or over the mountains into San Diego.

Old 12-03-2002, 12:09 PM
I have a Flairside with 5.4L and tow 4500# TT without and fuss!

Old 12-04-2002, 11:26 PM
If that's all you're planning to tow then a 4.2 6 cyl standard cab would be fine. Should be able to pick up a late model at rock bottom price and then you can save for that new L. Just get the tow package for the tranny cooler and frame mount hitch.

Quick Reply: Flat towing question...?