Towing & Hauling

Bed Anchors

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed Anchors

I have the Ford bedliner in my 2003 F150 and I was wondering if the anchors inside the bed are attached only to the liner or are attached to the bed?

I am going to haul a motorcycle and want to make sure those anchors are not just attached to the plastic liner.

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2002, 11:47 AM
are you talkin in the top rail or inside on the side of the bed?

Old 12-16-2002, 11:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the Ford bedliner, the cleats (bed anchors) are bolted through the liner and into the sides of the bed. The weakest link is probably the cleat design itself which may bend under heavy load. Hope that helps.

Old 12-23-2002, 03:21 PM
Thumbs up Cycle tiedown

I've hauled my cycle with ratchet straps attached to the tie downs in the bed with no trouble, but it was only a Honda 450, pretty light bike.

Old 12-31-2002, 11:30 PM
Exclamation Tie downs

When I first got my 99 Effie, one of the first things I did was throw out those hold-down cleats in the bed. Cleats belong on a sailboat, not a pickup truck! FORD, HOW COULD YOU! Not only are they flimsy pieces of metal that could easily buckle under a load, but they are also open-ended. This could easily lead to a ratchet strap popping off and hitting you in the face or worse yet, loosing your load on a rough stretch of road. Luckily, there's an easy fix to this problem. Underneath the cleat lies a ½ inch dia. hole. Go to the hardware store and pickup 4 eye bolts with ½ inch dia. shanks, 8 nuts, 8 fender washers and 8 lockwashers. Remove the cleat. Screw a nut, lockwasher and then a fenderwasher onto the eye bolt. stick it into the hole where the cleat used to be and have a friend hold a wrench on the nut. Slide underneath the truck and reach up in between the bed wall and the inside of the fender and locate the end of your eye bolt. Pop on another fenderwasher, lockwasher then a nut and crank it down with a wrench and your done! If you break one of these babies , you got to quit haulin' bulldozers in your bed.

Old 01-01-2003, 03:56 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I ratcheted a couple of things down in my bed for work and broke the cleat thus, be careful and don't hammer it down too hard...

RP

Quick Reply: Bed Anchors