Towing & Hauling

which Tekonsha for christmas?...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question which Tekonsha for christmas?...

I've been researching for a couple months and Tekonsha Prodigy would be ideal. Now I have to re-think. I found out Santa will get me a controller, but has a price cap. (I must not have been that nice... )

The SENTINAL, ENVOY, and VOYAGER are in the price range though.

I've towed plenty without trailer brakes.
I hope to be buying a used 18ft fifth wheel so family and safety are paramount. My first fifth wheel experience...
Plus, once I have a controller, I know I'll have a lot of friends who'll request my heavy duty assistance.

Which works best for re-leveling with different loads.
(light fifth wheel to heavy tounge weight -towing vehicles)

Any significant drawbacks between these models? I know the Sentinal is up to 4 axel, but are they all the same inner workings in different housings and switch configuration?

Thanks, Tim

Old 12-11-2002, 08:39 AM
Santa and I have a deal at our house; She doesn't get me anything she doesn't understand (air compressor, table saw, brake controller), and I don't get her anything I don't understand (clothes and other girly stuff).

That being said I would tell Santa that the VOYAGER would be your controller of choice. I've used the VOYAGER and it is a fine piece of equipment; easy to install, adjust, and remove when not in use. I use one with a dual axel car trailer w/ electric brakes that is 1800# empty and 4000# or so loaded. The controller is easy to adjust between loaded and empty, and rarely requires a tweek to compensate for heated/wet brakes. Stopping is smooth and sure, and I like the green LED that stays on all the time the trailer is connected-It helps answer the question "are we still hooked up back there?"

Come back after the holidays if you need a hand hooking everything up.

Old 12-11-2002, 09:58 AM
I don't know what Santa's price cap is - but you might want to strike a deal to reimburse Santa the difference between the cost of your three options and the Prodigy. The best price I found on the Prodigy was $117.99 here. I know when I looked locally, this was only marginally more than the next step down. This is the only brake controller that I have any experience with, but am confident that all Tekonsha units are first rate.

Old 12-11-2002, 01:22 PM
partial vote for envoy here

I have the Envoy putting the brakes on a 4k pound boat and I love it. Haven't used any others though.

Old 12-11-2002, 03:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Can fully understand a price cap, but for the little extra $$ for the Prodigy, you can't really pay too much for one.

I basically paid 'full price' for one $149 + tax + $9.99 for the Ford wiring harness. About $175 out the door (just lazy and didn't want to shop all over town or the internet)...... Sure, a pretty big hit, but after I used it for the first time, I would have gladly paid $300 for one!

You just can't beat the way it installs, sets up and functions. With the wiring harness, all I had to do was install the holder and plug it in. Set it to 6.0 volts, set the boost to "1" and I was good to go.

I'm not actually familar with your other choices, but the first controller I had cost $59 and it was junk. It was a Pull Rite or something like that. Could never get it setup right. Either jerked you to death or didn't do anything........

Old 12-11-2002, 04:43 PM
Before you buy anything, check out http://www.jordanbrake.com/ it is the best controller going, IMHO.

If you go to any of the RV boards, you will find lots of praise for this unit and the price is right.

Ian

Old 12-11-2002, 06:08 PM
I agree with Ian N. I have a Jordan 2020 and love the thing. The Prodigy is a good one as well. Have you checked out TrailerLife.com? Good source of info from the RV community.

http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm?site=TLM

Old 12-12-2002, 10:28 AM
Well, I spent last night reading about every Controller thread I could find. I'll pass on the Jordan just for the plug and play aspects between different vehicles and the Prodigy. (I know a lot of people with Fords...)

As for the Prodigy, Bills and Payday will see. I'll find out by end of weekend. Wish, Wish, Wish...

In these threads, everyone seem to be happy with whatever model Tekonsha they have. A lot of happy Sentinal models out there...

Mounting is now a concern. I'll be having three people in the front bench seat, so mounting under the radio won't work. (no leg room) And I don't have a pocket like my 97' did.

Could those of you with the SENTINAL, ENVOY, and VOYAGER post pics of where yours are? Thanks!

Also, on priceing. Southwest has the best prices including 2day fedex shipping on all these models.....

Thanks, Tim

Old 12-12-2002, 11:36 AM
Here's a picture of my Envoy installed. It's not a very good picture for location, but it'll give you some idea. I mounted it directly below the dash pocket on my '99.

One other tip. I had this controller installed in my Windstar using the pivot mount. I kept bumping the unit all the time and knocking it out of adjustment. This was mostly the result of where I mounted it in the Windstar, far left of lower dash next to door. If you opt for the Envoy, I recommend using the rigid mount as pictured.

If you haven't discovered it already, Tekonsha has their installation and wiring guides online.

Tekonsha

Last edited by Jimb; 12-12-2002 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

I installed mine on the fuse box door on the left side of the steering wheel (sorry, no pic). I'm 6'3" and I do have the seat all the way back, but I have not hit mine with a knee yet. If you have the seat moved forward, I could see it being in the way.

I also used the bracket that allows you to simply remove the controller when not in use. The Prodigy also comes with a nice little soft case to store it in.

Old 12-12-2002, 04:00 PM
I'll see about posting a pic later, but until then, I mounted mine on the fuse box door to the right of the steering wheel. Since I have a manual shift 4x4 (and a crew cab) it isn't likely that anyone will ever sit in the front middle seat. I also used the "pocket" mount where you can remove the controller when not in use.

Edit: How much is it at Southwest (thinking - do I really want to know how much extra I spent? )? I paid $122.97 for mine delivered (UPS 2 day) and thought I was getting a deal! I didn't ever come across Southwest in my shopping.

Last edited by JDMnAR; 12-12-2002 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:38 PM
Southwest prices the Prodigy for $125 and had a free FED EX 2DAY special on ALL controllers.

Rjays was cheaper, but UPS GROUND charges brought it to $125 some where I live.

I believe the Sentinal was 'cheaper' at Southwest $70, and the others the same cost $60.

So Southwest would be quicker and "less expensive" with the shipping special.

Just what I found...

Old 12-13-2002, 09:01 AM
WHEW! Thought you were giong to tell me you found it for $75 or something like that!

Old 12-13-2002, 01:13 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the Sentinal installed, that is out of the way of a center passanger?.....

I think I'll go that way if it looks good.
Other wise I'll get the Envoy as JimB has pictured. I think it's appearance will be better than the Voyager for similar features.

Still trying to see if the Prodigy will fit Santa's list...

Old 12-14-2002, 08:45 PM
Thumbs up $120 Prodigy in Tualatin Oregon!

Santa's getting me a Prodigy! $119.20 Tualatin Oregon!!!

I and Santa decided on a Prodigy over the Sentinel. Most of this is word of mouth from this and other forums and experiences... Here's why...

Many RVer's did suggest the Sentinal which was the standard prior to the Prodigy. Especially if your on a budget. The Sentinal is manual leveling (easy feedback light), but once set, acts mostly like the Prodigy. They hardly ever touch the thing.

The Prodigy uses a solid stage accelerometer (no more pendulum) to sense your truck's deceleration. Though unsure without calling Tekonsha, the Sentinal is pendulum. Most of the monitoring and feedback circuitry is similar with the Prodigy though. This is better than the Envoy and Voyager, which requires more manual adjustments for varying conditions.

But, pendulum styles may not work as well with taking your camper off the beaten path.

Prodigy also has a 'boost' amount of braking that you preset. This was best discribed as a way to adjust how 'aggressive' you want your brakes to normally activate. (nice feature)

I really wanted to save the $50 and buy a Sentinal online for $70, but found a Prodigy only 4 miles from me for $120. I think payday and Santa wanting to complete his list today also had something to do with the decissision.

Note:

www.rvpartsoutlet.com

Low Price, No Sales Tax !!!!
(Sentinel was $72 some)
Real helpfull, friendly, and no B.S.

(Everyone else local was $149 to $160, Sentinal $90 to $105)
He also has the 11600 Slide on Tow mirrors $40, I'll wait for now.
I also bought the Ford harness for $10 though.

I'll add my installation pics if I mount it different than others have shown.

If Tekonsha tech line was open today, and they would have "confirmed" that the Sentinal was not a pendulum, I may have saved some money.

Thank you all for your advice!!!

Quick Reply: which Tekonsha for christmas?...