Towing & Hauling

Help me understand why...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help me understand why...

I have driven a standard all my life and in general I do not like the lack of control and the shifting when I least expect it of an automatic. My truck is my daily driver in the winter and sometimes in the summer. My daily driver in the summer is a Honda S2000 , I know how to shift. My first car was a '64 Ford Falcon with a three in the tree.

I have driven Nissan V6 4x4 KingCabs with 5-speeds for the past 12 years. I would now like to move up to a full size truck, because I suspect within a few years I will begin to do some towing. The load would be the 2,800-pound car on a flatbed trailer, my extra tires, tools, and gear. I suspect the total will clearly come in less than 5,000 pounds.

Why oh why oh why can't I find a single full size truck that will pull 5,000 pounds and offer me a manual tranny option? Now I know I could go to a heavy duty truck and get a huge V8 and a 6-speed manual, but I'm talking about towing maybe 4 times a year, it would work out to be about 3% of the yearly miles I put on the truck. I don't need a HD truck for that other 97%!

I have to have a 4x4 and an extended cab, but I don't need the huge 4-door cab like a SuperCrew. The F-150 can be ordered with a 5-speed but the silly towing rating is all the way down at about 3,000 pounds.

I'm already coming to terms with the fact that I will have to go with the automatic, and I do like the way the F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 5.4 V8 drives, and I suspect the 5.4 will be plenty of engine with 350 ft-lbs at 2,500 rpms!

But again, why oh why oh why can't I find a single full size truck that will pull 5,000 pounds and offer me a manual tranny option?

Old 12-16-2002, 08:25 AM
Just my opinion, but.....

I think it has more to do with the fact that the mfg doesn't want to deal with warrenty claims when someone doesn't know hot to tow with a manual. If you know how to use a manual trans, and have towed before the manual in the 150 will probably handle 5000 pounds, but Ford is not going to put that in their ratings. Then they'd have to cover every weekend warrior that roasts the tranny pulling the bass boat out of the river on Sunday.

-Jeff

Old 12-16-2002, 11:11 AM
I'd have to agree. If you know how to use a manual tranny then you shouldn't have any problems. I just traded in my 01 frontier desert runner w/5 speed on my F150 and I once used my frontier to tow a '76 F250 extended cab about 200 miles. The frontier 5 speed is only rated for 3500 lbs. and to boot I didn't have the tow package so I just stuck the ball on the bumper wich is only suppposed to be for 2000 lbs. I didn't have any problems pulling it. Just be careful and remember that you are towing a load and you should be fine.

Old 12-16-2002, 11:51 AM
Interesting...

So what do you think the weak link would be, the strength of the clutch?
I'm wondering if maybe some type of heavy-duty clutch would help give me more of a safety margin.

I just hate going against a manufacture's claim by exceeding the towing limit, but I thank you guys for your thoughts. I'm thinking there have probably been a few F-150s that have been used beyond their specs by their owners over the years.

Old 12-16-2002, 07:34 PM
I think there is a combination of clutch issues and that the Mazda (M5OD) tranny is barely up to the torque of the 4.6l without towing. Towing might tear it apart. If you get the v6, it should stand up OK.

I don't know if the D***e or GM LD manuals are any better.

Ian

Old 12-17-2002, 01:37 AM
its the clutch

I talked to a tranny engineer at ford about the 5 speed. I asked why it was rated for such a small load and he said, "the clutch slips." He went on to say that a weaker clutch was put in so the truck didnt produce a harsh ride.

Basicaly the tranny was built for people wanting a car that looked like a truck. The engineer said that if you can drive the 5 speed without slipping the clutch it will tow the same weight as the automatics.

Old 12-17-2002, 02:09 AM
Talking Definately the clutch!

My trucks clutch lasted 65,000 miles (factory). It would always slip when I pulled the boat out of the water. I have since put in a Brute Force Clutch and it does not slip ever! By the way I have had the shifter fork replaced under extended warranty to my surprise. The dealer said that it was also a very weak part. So all of you with that 1-2 grind. It is not entirely your driving habit, although ripping through the gears does not help. I am all for a stronger manual.

Quick Reply: Help me understand why...