Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
That is the bypass.

Darrin
Thanks, Darrin!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Also - consider that there is a thermostatically controlled valve block in your lines coming form the tranny ( on 04+ 4R75E's I believe). This won't open until the fluid temp reaches approx 170 or so (could be wrong on exact set point, but it's up there).

Follow your lines and you'll see it.

Are you folks with aftermarket coolers removing these things?
My truck is an '02 and there is nothing in the lines between the tranny and radiator/cooler. If there is some type of bypass or what ever on this truck, I can tell you it's internal...period.

My truck has no problems (never has) locking up the converter or shifting into O/D straight out of the garage, I don't care how cold it is.

This keeps coming up but I guess no one is reading my post...there is no aftermarket cooler that I have ever ever seen with any type of temperature by-pass built into it. The Derales don't I know because I talked to their tech guys when I was shopping for one. I can also tell you, again, that this one doesn't and it's a factory ford cooler. The stock one that came off my truck did not have one either. I can't imagne oen being built into the cooler itself either. It would have to be internal to the tranny or installed in the lines somewhere.

Since this is a factory cooler that actually came stock on some trucks, some thought must have been put into it, I would imagine. Truck is running just great on these cold mornings (yea...58 to me is cold ) so I'm not gonna sweat it too bad.

Last edited by Galaxy; 10-01-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The transmissions that used only the coolers built into the radiator didn't have a bypass. The ones that had an external cooler have had the bypasses, at least on the ones that I have seen.

Here is a link to a great cooler with a bypass. They are not "built in". I have never seen one that was built in. That would be much more difficult to do.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=3

There is absolutely not a bypass built into the transmission.

Darrin

Old 10-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galaxy -

Can we get some more info on that cooler? Where did you get it? Part No? Price? What was included? Brackets?

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2007, 11:03 PM
The cooler is from www.getfordparts.com Just call the number and order up. Great customer service and everything. One penny shy of a Benjamin on the price, minus shipping of course. When I ordered mine a few weeks ago, they had quite a few in stock. Part number is XC3Z7A095CA. Brackets come installed already on the cooler ready to go in. Absolutely zero mods or alterations are required to install this sucker on a pre-'04 F-150. This is a factory Ford part and was the actual cooler that came stock on the '99 F-250 that was the same body style as our F-150's. You'll just have to adapt and rig up your own lines.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I am also running a set-up similar to what's pictured above. If I remember correctly, the gentleman who's awesome truck is in that picture (Tim Skelton) says that the SD trans cooler has an internal bypass. The passages in the cooler progressively get smaller from bottom to top. This would cause the fluid to go through the larger passages if it wasn't warm enough yet to go through the smaller ones. This would allow the fluid to pass through the cooler quicker and make it's way back to the trans to be heated.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SWThomas
The passages in the cooler progressively get smaller from bottom to top. This would cause the fluid to go through the larger passages if it wasn't warm enough yet to go through the smaller ones. This would allow the fluid to pass through the cooler quicker and make it's way back to the trans to be heated.
Not so sure I would like that type of setup for a couple of reasons. I need to get myself awake yet this morning and think about it a little, but that really doesn't sound like a good idea.

Darrin

Old 10-18-2007, 06:48 PM
esf
Has anyone tried Troyers transmission cooler? It sounds like a pretty good unit and should be for $240. It's money well spent in my opinion if it does the job. http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...gno=PPI-ATCKIT

Old 11-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SWThomas
. . . If I remember correctly, the gentleman who's awesome truck is in that picture (Tim Skelton) says that the SD trans cooler has an internal bypass. . . .
I don't recall saying (or thinking) that. Maybe I was stoned.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Any Idea As To The Part# And Ball Park Cost Of Cooler Alone?

Old 01-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by rfont54
Any Idea As To The Part# And Ball Park Cost Of Cooler Alone?

Both were stated earlier...here you go!

Originally Posted by Galaxy
The cooler is from www.getfordparts.com Just call the number and order up. Great customer service and everything. One penny shy of a Benjamin on the price, minus shipping of course. When I ordered mine a few weeks ago, they had quite a few in stock. Part number is XC3Z7A095CA. Brackets come installed already on the cooler ready to go in. Absolutely zero mods or alterations are required to install this sucker on a pre-'04 F-150. This is a factory Ford part and was the actual cooler that came stock on the '99 F-250 that was the same body style as our F-150's. You'll just have to adapt and rig up your own lines.

Last edited by Galaxy; 01-07-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 AM
I have been having some of these same questions. I still have my stock tranny cooler in place (2007 5.4 FX4) and installed a trans temp gauge in preperation for my S/C. I have been driving around all winter and rarely see it get about 130. I usually have to sit in traffic or do a lot of stop and go to get that. The temps around here have been 5-40 deg F, is this normal to see below 120 deg F temps this time of year. I attached my sensor the line going into the top of the radiator, was this the correct one?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Galaxy that's an awesome installation. I've got the same exact truck. Looks like it's a simple job. About how much line and what fittings did you have to get? I can make hoses no problem.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Remember, the photo is not my truck as stated in the original post. Just easier to post that picture since I never took my grille out for decent pics.

I used (all -6 AN) two 90* fittings at the cooler, two straight fittings where I adapted the braided line to the existing hard line, then the appropriate size hard line to braided line adapters for the "in" and the "out". Used about 7 feet of braided line. I'll get a list of the exact part numbers for all the fittings I used, but it's pretty basic. I used all Earl's stuff too!!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanx. We've got a local supplier here I bought from when I was doing dyno work. They will be more than happy to get me what i want.

Quick Reply: New Cooler...How Cool is Too Cool??