04 F150 Lost overdrive, servo clip broke
http://www.f150online.com/forums/tra...roke-pics.html

ISSUE
2004 Ford F150 lost overdrive, some of the symptoms of this include:
• No overdrive
• Shift right into neutral
• Not able to engine brake into 2nd gear
• If you turn of OverDrive, you can drive normally within the first three gears
This was caused by the overdrive servo retaining clip snap and lodged into the a valve on the valve body
Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

04 F150 Lost overdrive, servo clip broke (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got finished completing this, but still no OD (and no engine breaking in 3rd(OD off). The only part that was broken was the small little e-clip at the end of the servo, the bigger snap ring was fine.

My question is, if that little e-clip broke, would that have caused the OD band to come off? I didn't remove the servo, I just put a new clip back on.
I made sure to find all the clip pieces(only 2), made sure the valve bodies moved freely, fluid is correct level.

I noticed in this picture that you can clearly see the hole in the band, but mine didn't have that so I assumed it was still connected. Is that correct?

Last edited by OneUp; 10-22-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:27 PM
When the clip breaks it gets hung in a valve in the valve body causing overdrive not to work ive fixed quite a few of these

Old 02-17-2014, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the great info. The detailed description you gave helped me tremendously. Fixed mine in about 3 hrs. Thanks again.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:47 PM
I think this just happened to my truck...4 hours from home.

Luckily I was able to limp it to a AAMCO. Do you think they will be able to fix it? Or are they going to try and sell me a new trans?

Is there anything specific that causes this or tell tale signs/sounds. Mine made a funny noise for about 3 seconds yesterday. Next day going up a mountain pass the tach just pegged.

Also any recommendations on shops in the northern virginia area? What's it going to cost.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:58 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
AAMCO is probably going to try to sell you a complete rebuild.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Awesome write up, I lost OD 2 days ago and this seems to be a very common issue with these trannys. I just pulled my pan and am just letting it drain before taking off and inspecting the VB. one question though if it turns out my band is busted is there a way to tell by just removing pan and valve body or is it a rebuild at that point?

Thanks

Old 03-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Now if done it

Well have been searching over and over again but I still don't have OD. When I took the valve body off the servo fell right out and the eclip was intact but the snap ring was blown to pieces. I checked the valve body to make sure everything was moving freely and found all the pieces. The reinforcement plate underneath had a hole in it and I went to a local transmission shop where they gave me one pro bono along with a new gasket for the underside of the valve body.

When I set the OD band I held it in place as I compressed the servo. I'm pretty sure I got it n place as I can no longer see hole in it from when I moved it over.

Is there anything I'm missing here?

I'm about to remove the servo again to make sure I have that OD band engaged. Aside from that I'm losing my mind

Old 03-08-2014, 12:50 PM
I have a similar problem and this seems to be the most relevant thread. My OD Servo cap cracked and spilled fluid all up and down my street. I would say I have 4 out of 10 mechanical experience but I'd like to try this on my own. Here are some questions:

A. Will replacing just the OD Servo cap fix the problem?
B. What caused the problem?
C. Do I need to take the transmission out to fix the problem?

Thanks very much for any thoughts.

By the way it is a 5r55w transmission off an 04 mountaineer.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:31 PM
problems after performing the repair

So I just completed this repair on my 04 and now I have a trans fault and throwing codes P0748 and P0960 open circuit on pressure control solenoid. Is there a possibility I did not get something installed correctly or damaged something?

Old 04-01-2014, 09:15 AM
When you removed the valve body did you remove the solenoid? Sounds like its a short either installed incorrectly, (a pin missing contact) or you might have broken the harness. Make sure the electronics and the valve body wire harness are installed correctly.

Last edited by Deptucked; 04-01-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Took out an s
Old 04-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 04mercury
I have a similar problem and this seems to be the most relevant thread. My OD Servo cap cracked and spilled fluid all up and down my street. I would say I have 4 out of 10 mechanical experience but I'd like to try this on my own. Here are some questions:

A. Will replacing just the OD Servo cap fix the problem?
B. What caused the problem?
C. Do I need to take the transmission out to fix the problem?

Thanks very much for any thoughts.

By the way it is a 5r55w transmission off an 04 mountaineer.
the repair in this thread DOES NOT apply to the 5R55 transmission.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cscott900
So I just completed this repair on my 04 and now I have a trans fault and throwing codes P0748 and P0960 open circuit on pressure control solenoid. Is there a possibility I did not get something installed correctly or damaged something?
sounds like the harness is not seated properly on the EPC solenoid.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:55 AM
'06 f150 fx4

1. My truck started making a loud air sounding noise on left front while going down the road. As I would slow or stop, it would quit and make a thud sound like something engaged. Now when its changing gears it goes to like its in nuetral. Never has slipped. 178,000 miles. Fluid or filter never been changed but has good color nor is burnt. I followed thread on dropping valve body. I don't see any of the clips broken but when I'd cut OD button off its fine but runs high rpm. Haven't took the VB apart at all. Just dropped it out to look at clips. What next? Can't afford a shop bill.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:51 PM
Great write up! I can't thank everyone enough.

My 2004 F150 was a little different than most. The broken retainer ring had cut a groove in the servo plunger and the shavings, looked like thin wires, had lodged in the usual location in the valve body. Very hard to see at first. Once this debris was removed I also verified that the overdrive band was engaging the tang, and bent the tabs on the 2-3 accumulator for a tight fit.

Put it all back together with 8 qts of new fluid and I have overdrive again!

Thanks again to all the contributors on this.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:34 PM
lost overdrive DTC P0732 Gear 2 incorrect gear ratio

So I ran into the same symptom of loosing 3rd and 4th and trans malfunction message on cluster.
I checked the DTC with a Snap on scanner and found DTC P0732.

I did some research on this DTC thru different forums, but did not find anything other than generic DTC info.

So I checked based on symptoms and ran into this site, I took down the valve body and found the overdrive snap ring broken and the overdrive piston had come down far enough to strike a hole in the valve body cap.

So I took apart the valve body and remove all remaining C clip materials from the valve body (make sure you take the valve body covers completly apart top and bottom).
I replaced the overdrive piston, C clip, valve body cap and gaskets, 10 quarts of ATF and it was fixed!. (After 3 tries)

Note: I had to do this 3 times! 1st i did not engage the overdrive band correctly to the overdrive piston. 2nd time I had to take the bottom of the valve body cover apart as I did not on the first repair and found another piece of the valve body cap that was stuck in a piston! By the 3rd try the repair was done in 1.5 hours and finnaly had the truck running!

Repair was done for less $120 with ATF, O/D piston, c clip and valve body gaskets.

Thanks guys, I would not have figure this repair out without this forum! Even after unsuccessfully repairing on the first 2 tries! I kept finding more post of previous mistakes done by others and was able to find mine.

This is a great site!!! 15 minutes on this site will save you $1500

Quick Reply: 04 F150 Lost overdrive, servo clip broke (pics)