Hows Oil getting outside the plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hows Oil getting outside the plugs?

97 4.2 rebuilt motor aprox 50k miles. Upon changing my plugs I discovered oil! Not yareaka on the electrodes ( electrode dry normal wear) Oh and no valve cover leaks,but oil is on the outside of spark plug what's up with that ?

Old 10-19-2006, 11:56 PM
Dumb question. Are the plugs loose? That's the only way I can think of for oil to get on the outside of them. A valve cover leaking would do it too, but you ruled that out. You might try tightening the plugs up. Just guessing here.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Exclamation

mission complete I have found here a real life dumb question answerer, I got more ! why do they call it a parkway and I park in my driveway, why did busch get elected, why WHY, why do I care? But ya the plugs are tight, So I guess you don't qualify to answer that question! why did he answer that question Why, can anyone tell me the answer to a Question not a dumb question, just a question

Old 10-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Calm down there junior. I didn't say that your question was dumb. I was the one who asked the "dumb question". Sorry if I can't help. If I could, I would. Now here's another dumb question...How in the hell am I, or anyone else for that matter, supposed to know why you have oil on your sparkplug? I can't see under your damned hood. What the hell do you think I am? A psychic mechanic?

Old 10-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Peacemaker
Calm down there junior. I didn't say that your question was dumb. I was the one who asked the "dumb question". Sorry if I can't help. If I could, I would. Now here's another dumb question...How in the hell am I, or anyone else for that matter, supposed to know why you have oil on your sparkplug? I can't see under your damned hood. What the hell do you think I am? A psychic mechanic?
You will have to cut him some slack, he is from NJ. Brewdude is his neighbor.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Ok Ok I know I'm a wise ***, But being from Jersey it's an inherent form of communication to incite to get results! I don't mean to get anyones heart racing. But the condition does have it's fun, anyway I thought maybe oil seeping past the threads might be a common sign of an under lying problem or may is it just the way it is on these 4.2s your a good dude piece you helped me before, I Don't mean to bite the mind that feeds Thanks

Old 10-20-2006, 04:43 PM
No problem man. I understand it's frustrating when you don't know how to fix a problem. Maybe try looking at the pcv valve. See if any oil is getting past the grommet and leaking down on your plug.

Or if it's on the other side of the engine, check the black plastic hose that goes from the rubber air intake tube to the top of the valve cover. I've had oil leak from there before, I just pressed down on the little cap on the valve cover that the plastic hose goes to, and it made a popping sound. It must have been loose because that fixed my leak. Good luck with it.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:57 PM
No piece it's wierd its all the plugs, its not alot just enough to wonder. I have no pressure problem, as I said thow it's rebuilt, could be a result of remilling a bad bore, regardless it's not affecting performance ( that I'm aware of) just thought I'd throw this one out there
Thanks again

Old 10-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Hmm. Never heard of that. That's definately weird. Maybe you got a bad batch of plugs? How old are your plugs? Have they been changed recently? If you haven't done it already, try putting some anti-seize on your plug threads. Sounds like you might have galled up a few threads, and oil is getting by. Definately keep an eye on it.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:40 PM
put in, bosch got rid of them, plugs befor that had the oil too, had anti-seize on the bosch plugs. I thought maybe it's due too to much anti-seize, unkown what if previous owner used anti-seize, yes it is a mystery

Old 10-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Another dumb answer...

I haven't ripped apart the motor of a Ford F-150 but this is simply a crossover hunch since I have no schematics to look through. First off I highly recommend not usinig anti-seize on your spark plugs... it becomes an excuse not to change them (haha just kidding). It is not uncommon for some residual oil to leak its way onto the plugs; it's not supposed to happen but it can. As long as the plug is not drenched in oil and it has not fouled the tip of the plug then I would consider it a bygone and let bygones be bygones. Check your plug in about two weeks and see if anything has changed. If you have an issue you will obviously find a significant amount more oil on the plug and perhaps notice a loss in power. If that doesn't work then here is my dumb crossover answer. I know my Hondas inside and out. The spark plugs of most Hondas enter the combustion chamber via the valve cover. If you remove the valve cover then you will find four gaskets seated inbetween it and the head however they usually stick to the cover. Those four gaskets are called cpark plug cylinder gaskets. I have no idea if Ford trucks have something similar to this (Anyone with a bit more background here?) as I have only changed my plugs once since I bought this truck and did it in the dark so I barely remember what it looks like down there. Try option "A" first and take it from there. Best of luck...

Old 10-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Ps...

Get rid of those Bosch plugs... they are POS for the Fords. The Ford engineers developed a beautiful lil' system where the spark plug fires twice per stroke to ignite any residual air/fuel mixture left in the chamber. This concept was to improve gas milage and supposedly add power though I haven't seen any extra. The Boschs will burn up under these conditions. Do yourself right and spend the $70 and buy the Motorcrafts (Ford Genuine Parts).

Old 10-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Surfjunkie44
Get rid of those Bosch plugs... they are POS for the Fords. The Ford engineers developed a beautiful lil' system where the spark plug fires twice per stroke to ignite any residual air/fuel mixture left in the chamber. This concept was to improve gas milage and supposedly add power though I haven't seen any extra. The Boschs will burn up under these conditions. Do yourself right and spend the $70 and buy the Motorcrafts (Ford Genuine Parts).
$70!
I only pay $3.00 each for my Motorcraft plugs at my local dealer!

Old 10-20-2006, 11:49 PM
Exclamation

Ok surf junkie I don't know how I loss some guys, but didn't I state I got rid of the bosch plugs, anyway ya my local dealer quoted around that dollar amount too, (I guess he judged me by my shoes) I asked if his sister came with them anyway So I opt for the autolites.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by Amerimutt
I asked if his sister came with them
That's F'ing hilarious... I think the look on my face spoke those words though I wish I would have said them!

Quick Reply: Hows Oil getting outside the plugs?