My New EcoBoost Is Ticking! [VIDEO]

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that does not sound right. I would get it checked out.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Sorry I wasn't able to update the thread yet, I have an appointment Monday as I had to wait for them to get a loaner that had enough room for my 6'6 frame and a car seat behind me. To accompany the ticking, there's now a steady hiss that's prominent during acceleration, especially in the 30-50mph range. Power randomly disappears and it feels like I have little or no turbo. I'm no mech, but I figure there's a high pressure leak and/or bad turbo. I'll keep you posted.. I guess I have to temporarily turn in my "EcoBoost FanBoy" membership card until further notice

Old 08-13-2011, 11:34 PM
I've seen this befor, not quite exactly like this but I beleive it was the air induction tube that had popped off or something!!!!

Old 08-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Anyhow let us know for sure what's up with yours.....

Old 08-14-2011, 04:48 AM
Yes please keep us updated, I would love to know what that sound is

Last edited by pmason718; 08-15-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
kind of sounds like my kubota 3 cylinder diesel.
Agreed, sounds just like a diesel tractor idling.

Hope it is nothing serious, definitely worth a 45 minute ride for a good dealership.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Dropped off the ecobooooost this morning, service manager hasn't heard of my issue yet, had both little ones with me so couldn't stick around to have them listen to it. They gave me a 2012 fusion as a loaner since they had no trucks available. That thing should be renamed the Ford Iron Maiden if you're 6'6 and all torso like me. With two car seats in the back I literally had to jump backwards to wedge my *** in the driver's seat, then the whole way home, my lower back and neck were cramped up like I was Houdini in some luggage, I kept banging my head against the handle over the door, and my leg was pinned in a way that was either banging against the dash, or getting the knee cap chipped away at by the key sticking out of the ignition. Not to mention the enormous blind spot created by the rear view mirror when your head is pinned to the roof. I guess it's better than nothing.

..and that's why I'm on my 5th F150...

Old 08-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

friends dad's ecoboost died while they were coming back from vacation and sent him your video. said it made the same noise before it died.

ford in new mexico dropped the oil pan and there was metal in it. waiting to hear what has happened since but they flew back to hosuton

Old 08-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Ragged05FX4
Dropped off the ecobooooost this morning, service manager hasn't heard of my issue yet, had both little ones with me so couldn't stick around to have them listen to it. They gave me a 2012 fusion as a loaner since they had no trucks available. That thing should be renamed the Ford Iron Maiden if you're 6'6 and all torso like me. With two car seats in the back I literally had to jump backwards to wedge my *** in the driver's seat, then the whole way home, my lower back and neck were cramped up like I was Houdini in some luggage, I kept banging my head against the handle over the door, and my leg was pinned in a way that was either banging against the dash, or getting the knee cap chipped away at by the key sticking out of the ignition. Not to mention the enormous blind spot created by the rear view mirror when your head is pinned to the roof. I guess it's better than nothing.

Its not the Fusion its your BIG ***, lol, jk

Old 08-15-2011, 01:02 PM
OP, good luck getting this sorted out and I hope it gets done quickly.

Originally Posted by BillP603
Agreed, sounds just like a diesel tractor idling.

Hope it is nothing serious, definitely worth a 45 minute ride for a good dealership.
I have heard million mile Cat and Cummins diesels that don't sound like that thing.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by thejake1989
friends dad's ecoboost died while they were coming back from vacation and sent him your video. said it made the same noise before it died.

ford in new mexico dropped the oil pan and there was metal in it. waiting to hear what has happened since but they flew back to hosuton
This is all quickly becoming an EcoBoost BuzzKill for me

Old 08-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Ragged05FX4

im 6'6" and fit in my dad's '10 Fusion just fine, hes 6'3" and has no problem, but he had to find one without a sunroof to get enough headroom.

as for the mirror, all newer cars/trucks are like that. I guess it makes it easier for the short people to reach and adjust

Old 08-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
im 6'6" and fit in my dad's '10 Fusion just fine, hes 6'3" and has no problem, but he had to find one without a sunroof to get enough headroom.

as for the mirror, all newer cars/trucks are like that. I guess it makes it easier for the short people to reach and adjust
I'm all torso, and try putting a rear facing child seat in the back

Also, Don't have the mirror issue in the new truck, and it was just a little bit of an issue in the 2006 FX4, but I think that might of been because I had captains chairs as I highly doubt they raised the roofline lol

Last edited by Ragged05FX4; 08-15-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:32 PM
UPDATE: Dealership called, guy said the ticking is from the injectors and is normal. He even said he compared it to another ecoboost off the lot and they sound the same. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, if it's quiet in the cabin and the engine is idling, it's embarrassing how crappy it sounds. They also said they didn't get to check into the loud hissing from 30-45mph, but they will do that first thing tomorrow.

Ironically, a sales rep from the same dealership called me about 5 minutes later and asked me how satisfied I've been with my recent truck purchase. I wish I could of seen her face when I told her "Ya I sure wish I could tell you, but I haven't gotten to drive it much, as it's in your service bay right now broken down getting worked on"

UPDATE TO MY UPDATE: Upon doing some in depth research, it does appear that the loud ticking is the high pressure fuel system. Totally normal Still doesn't explain the hissing though, but I'm sure it will end up being normal somehow anyway.

Last edited by Ragged05FX4; 08-15-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:11 PM
This may be a dumb question, but ill throw it out there. Do you have to open the hood to hear it that plainly? Im guessing no, but just thought I would ask.

I drove 2 different EB's and each one was quiet as a kitten purring both with the hood up and down.

I call MAJOR BS on this one.

Can anyone with an EB verify this? Maybe take a video and post it on YouTube so this poor guy can show the dealership its NOT normal?

Quick Reply: My New EcoBoost Is Ticking! [VIDEO]