My New EcoBoost Is Ticking! [VIDEO]

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgh_medic
This may be a dumb question, but ill throw it out there. Do you have to open the hood to hear it that plainly? Im guessing no, but just thought I would ask.

I drove 2 different EB's and each one was quiet as a kitten purring both with the hood up and down.

I call MAJOR BS on this one.

Can anyone with an EB verify this? Maybe take a video and post it on YouTube so this poor guy can show the dealership its NOT normal?
It's still noticeable yes. At the end of the video I closed the hood and you can still hear it pretty well, especially through the wheel well. I think I'm going to try to e-mail the video to the dealerships service dept.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:30 PM
That is BS, for sure. Both ecoboost i have drove were so quit i wasnt sure it was running. I would get second opinion.

On my 08 5.4l I had the infamous cam phaser tick and the dealer tried to say it was normal. An 6000miles lata engine lost oil pressure due to schered pin on phaser and had to get new motor. (a month lata).

NOT ALL SERVICE CENTERS ARE THE SAME!!!! LOL

Old 08-16-2011, 07:03 AM
My EB doesn't sound like that. Make them take you out to the lot and show you any 2 that sound like that!

Edit: I'd also have them do an oil change and cut the filter open with you there. Send the oil for analysis too.

Last edited by Joe F; 08-16-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:59 AM
I have to agree, I have over 7k on my EB and can't hear it idling.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:40 AM
I think mine is starting to sound like this as well. I am taking mine in when I get back from my vacation for the tsb on the downshift and to get this looked at. I will let you know at the end of august what The dealer says.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:08 AM
UPDATE: Okay, now starting to wonder. They've had my truck for 3 days, and said my knock was normal, and now they say they can't get it to hiss during driving it yesterday. At this point I just want my noisy truck back. But I guess they don't know how to check the truck for more than one thing per day, so today hopefully they check my last issue today. (Sync readout went haywire randomly after I did an update via USB).

I also e-mailed them my youtube video yesterday, so we'll see what they say about that.

You'd think they'd really want to find a problem to get some warranty work, maybe next time I should take it to a dealership with a service bay struggling for some business

Old 08-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
All I can say is Wow!

Old 08-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ragged05FX4
UPDATE: Okay, now starting to wonder. They've had my truck for 3 days, and said my knock was normal, and now they say they can't get it to hiss during driving it yesterday. At this point I just want my noisy truck back. But I guess they don't know how to check the truck for more than one thing per day, so today hopefully they check my last issue today. (Sync readout went haywire randomly after I did an update via USB).

I also e-mailed them my youtube video yesterday, so we'll see what they say about that.

You'd think they'd really want to find a problem to get some warranty work, maybe next time I should take it to a dealership with a service bay struggling for some business
Just be patient....they've probably got ford and its engineers involved now.....

Old 08-17-2011, 01:55 PM
subscribed

Old 08-17-2011, 03:14 PM
UPDATE: Dealership called, guy said they took it for another spin and couldn't hear any hiss. BUT he did get my video I e-mailed him, and he says that ticking noise is definitely not right, but it's just not present on the truck at the moment. (That I do believe because of course it wasn't making that noise the day I took it in) So he asked if I'd mind keeping it one more day trying to get it to act up and make the noise he heard in the video. I said sure what's one more day at this point.

Thank god for cell phone cameras and youtube.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Something is off with the way yours sounds. I was helping my brother today with his truck and had him pull mine around so we could hook up the jumper cables. Out in the country (no noise) and standing 20ft away the only thing I could hear was the fans. I could hear a very slight burble from the exhaust when he gave it a little gas to start rolling, that's it. With the hood open and standing in front of it I could hear a ticking that was very similar to the way the injectors on my 5.4 sounded.

If that sound is normal then mine is all messed up.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ragged05FX4

Thank god for cell phone cameras and youtube.
and don't forget the internet and this forum

Old 08-18-2011, 01:11 PM
UPDATE: They never could get it to knock, so I decided to say screw it and pick it up. Sure enough when they pulled it around, it was purring like a kitten. Was happy to be back in my truck and driving home. Until I pulled in the driveway and realized I could hear the knocking from inside the cab. So busted out the camera phone, took 3 more videos, e-mailed the dealership the links and called them. They are all at launch except for the new guy who I had to explain the situation to, and I should be getting a call back within the hour. I said to the guy on the phone "I can't imagine them not getting the truck up to temp to check for a knock" He kind of sounded dumbfounded and asked if I wanted to bring it back up right now. So I just said I'll wait for my call. I want to reconfirm they hear a problem in all 4 videos before I take it up there, and I'll be demanding a larger rental this time.

All videos taken today after picking up truck from dealership.
Knocking from inside truck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzvic5OnH9s
Knocking from outside truck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq3PEbSjvbc
Knocking as I pop the hood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWkaTK36jos

Old 08-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Take it back in right away, dont wait for them to call you. Make sure they know you arent happy. Something is obviously not right with your brand new vehicle.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Dealership is about 35-40 min away, and I'll be in that area tomorrow anyway so told them I'm dropping it off then.

Quick Reply: My New EcoBoost Is Ticking! [VIDEO]