4.2 nay sayers

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014 | 12:19 PM
Bought my 06 XL 1/2 ton regular cab 4.2 5 speed new in 06. It is my daily driver. No mods. No real problems. Great truck. Just turned 57k on the odometer. Around town I get 14 - 16 mpg, but on the hi way I regularly get a solid 26 mpg. I get up to about 62 mph and engage the cruise control.

Love my truck!

Old 09-04-2014 | 12:47 PM
62 and 63 seem to be the mpgs sweet spot. Mine does 26+ also but 65mph will drop it to around 21mpgs.

Old 03-23-2015 | 09:31 AM
the reason for the extra hp.

Originally Posted by Ryan_James
I know somebody who got 400k out of his 4.2. He know has a 2011 with a 3.7. My only gripe with this engine is the numbers. I know it's only a V6 but come on. That 3.7 makes 300 hp. Only more 10 ft/lbs of torque however. I think you could get 50 more ponies and at least 300 ft/lbs out of our 4.2's. It may not be cheap but I'm pretty sure it is do-able. What do I know? I can't even vote yet!
yes it does get a lot more horsepower but thats due to having overhead cams instead of push rod. yes its much more powerful just like a jap vehicle. however overhead cams instead of pushrods only mean one thing... valve tolerance checks... no thanks ill stay with the push rod for myself.

Old 03-23-2015 | 01:44 PM
I miss my 4.2...that thing was great and it saw 5000rpms every day.

Old 03-22-2023 | 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by 97XL
The only bad thing with the 4.2 is if you were unlucky enough to have a 97 or early 98. They had some gasket issues which would let coolant leak into the motor leading to a hydrolock. Ford has since fixed the issue.
Could you possibly DM me about this I just had mine blow up on me I got moisture in the intake by the filter and the oils all milky I swear it God looks like doo-doo water

Old 03-22-2023 | 08:55 PM
If anyone can DM me please I'm curious as to see how this motor comes apart if there's any tricks anything like that I'm actually an old Chevy Jeep fan as you can see in my name but I just had the thing blow up on me today creamy oil water in the intake by the air filter but to me if they're in there I was trying to pull somebody I didn't know it blew up on me sprayed a little ether in the intake and started right up but after that you shut down about a minute later and would not start back up keep on turning over so it wasn't hydro locked but yeah I'm just curious if anyone's got any 10 bits or tricks for me to take off that intake or anything to watch out for ETC thank you all for any input and God bless

Old Yesterday | 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by f150florida
Okay part2

up to this point I spent approx;

$200.00 radiator
$10.00 IMR bushings
$9.00 upper plenum gasket
$450 + 70 mounting on tires
$12 vacuum line
$98 dollars plug wires and plugs
$56 on coilmodule
$25 gator water belt
$3 t-stat
$66 upper and lower hose
$28 camshaft sensor
$18 gas cap

And still I had a truck with zero power. So investigating even more, reading threads on this site and others. Read stories of person with the same problems. I really wish my truck would have caught on fire or somebody T-bone me.

In my Miami I95 traffic, I was praying for a accident where a driver would hit me and total me out

So on to more diagnostics. I found my vent line that runs from the top front of the tank to the metal rail was rotting out. I replace those lines but still more smells of fuel and gas mpg 14-15mpg

When looking at my cap, I found that the lip of the filler was actually cracked. So off to the JY and I snatched a fill tube from a 97 and then a 2001 F150. I found after getting the 97 that it was slightly different. So I replace that fill tube and smell of fumes went away and mpg went up to 17.2mpg

Moving on, still truck has no power and was slowly developing a miss on acceleration and cruise ( stay with me on that one, we will revisit this )

So I let some friends of my diagnose the issues. No DTC, so automatically assume fuel-filter. So off to AutoZone and a new Fram filter plus a KN filter element.

NO improvement

So we took more fuel-rails readings and the pressure was right at the minimal of the haynes book.

Still no improvements, and nothing indicating what could be wrong. I was out of options. So I made a choice to start throwing parts at it. My actron scanner would not pick up any new codes, showed fuel trims working high and bank #2 HEGO not switching that much.

So since the problem seem acceleration related I first mis-diagnose the issue as a bad TPS. So the TPS was easy to get at. It was changed, status unchanged no improvement.

Next, I figured the front 02s where bad. So I drop new HEGOs frt and back at 45 dollars a piece. Still no improvement.

Next, a guy told me clogged cats, but another shop said clog fuel or tank strainer. So I flipped coin and bought new down wind cats and had them weld in, even tho Mad Max muffler shop warn me that this was probably not the issue. I was trying my best to avoid dropping the tank.

After this action, truck run slightly better if that.

So next, I replaced IAC knowing that was not the issues. I just did it cause it was easy to get to and simple to change. Next I cleaned out the DPFE hose and then it darned on me that this could be a issue.

So in doing this option, I pulled the EGR valve and pulled out a globbed of caked deposit at where the tube fitted the manifold. Problems solved or I thought .

A slight improvement, but still no power, pissed poor power. To give you an ideal of how bad the acceleration was. At 60mphs, I could be in 4th or even worst 5th gear, and with the accelerator press to the floor that truck would accelerate like 1mph increase every 1.5 miles

At this point I really want this truck to burn up or for some other driver to t-bone me

Too Be Continue

Mine was the exact same way up until about a month ago. Its your accelerator pedal position actuator or at least thats what was causing every bit of my issue and it never once threw any codes

Old Yesterday | 10:16 AM
glc
Originally Posted by 05frankenstein
Mine was the exact same way up until about a month ago. Its your accelerator pedal position actuator or at least thats what was causing every bit of my issue and it never once threw any codes
The poster you replied to has a 1999 which does not have an electronic throttle.

Quick Reply: 4.2 nay sayers