Oil Change question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Change question

I was reading manual and it says to change the oil every 5000 miles.

Should I follow the manual or do the 3000?

Last edited by F150WITH20S; 07-09-2004 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:46 PM
You can do it every 3,000 miles if you wish and it will not affect your warranty since you would be doing it “earlier” then recommended. I change mine every 3,000 miles and always have.

Some will say it is not necessary and have a good argument but for my own piece of mind I do it every 3,000 miles.

Now if you do not take it to the dealer, of which I never do and do it myself, but if you don’t take it to the dealer you NEED to keep a log book and record the miles and dates you changed the oil as well as SAVE ALL receipts for the oil and filters or anything you may do to your truck for maintenance.

You may have, or may have not read, in your owners manual that Ford can ask for PROOF that scheduled maintenance has been done. In other words if you don’t take it to the dealer (who usually record it on their computer system) Ford may make you PROVE that you followed their recommendations for scheduled maintenance. Failure to PROVE this to Ford “could” affect certain warranty work…

Hope this helps a bit…

Old 07-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Oh dear... another oil change thread. You'll be fine every 5k.

Hey XLT - what about those that do it themselves? Am I supposed to save my reciepts that show I purchased oil & filter on so and so dates?! That blows...

Old 07-09-2004, 04:00 PM
"what about those that do it themselves? Am I supposed to save my reciepts that show I purchased oil & filter on so and so dates?! That blows..."

Yes, you are. If you go to another lube center, you should have them include your VIN number on your receipts.

Old 07-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Affirmative…

I have for a very long time always done my own oil & filter changes, fuel filter changes etc and have a notepad type of book that I maintain a maintenance log with. I use some legal size envelopes and then date them and put the miles on them and then put all pertinent receipts in it. I also log it in my notepad on the date and miles. I simply keep the envelopes in the notepad so if I was ever asked to prove I performed maintenance I have everything.

It might suck but it has two benefits, well at least in my opinion. One, it could save you some big money if you need warranty repair work done and two, it could help if you ever sale your vehicle in a private sale. I would think a potential buyer would look more favorable at a vehicle when the owner can show some type of maintenance log with receipts…

Old 07-09-2004, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the tip, guys! I'll begin to keep an envelope!

*drives to dump to find last reciept*

Old 07-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Moved to Engines...

Trending Topics

Old 07-10-2004, 08:27 AM
I'm been using this Word document for a number of years now.

Simple, but effective.

Hunt4Fun

Quick Reply: Oil Change question