problem with Troyer E-fans

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005 | 02:39 PM
|
problem with Troyer E-fans

this is not a bashing thread i love the guy just want to put some knowledge out there, one of the brass rods that holds the fans in place has rubbed a hole in one of the coolant channels in my radiator, took two years to do but it happened, i think the culprit was my extensive offroading, i go about 5 days a month offroading, all the little rubber holders were tight so that wasnt the problem it was just the way it mounts to the radiator that caused this and the vibration of offroading, i have to pull my radiator and take off the E-fan now and braze the hole, called Troyer and this is the first he has ever heard of this happening, well now i need new brass rods and new rubber conectors, i wont go into detail what his staff told me but in short told me it wasnt the kit that it must have been installed wrong and they wouldnt cover the cost of new brass rods and rubber connectors, it was installed perfect by me, a ASE cert tech step by step with his instructions, if any of you do alot of offroading and have this kit i recomend that you inject some RTV silacone around the brass rods so there would be no chance of them vibrating and rubbing a hole in your radiator, hopefully it wont happen to you but the little extra work to put some silacone could save you the hassle down the road, now off to pull the radiator, i am posting this in the offroad forrum as well since the offroading caused the vibration

Old 12-14-2005 | 03:31 PM
aww that sux man.. thats why i used zip ties... to hold my fan on.. well actually mines bolted on.. its a stock fan off a GT so it actually had all the mounting holes already on it.

Old 12-14-2005 | 03:43 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor
Take a look at this. One side has the copper rods the other side is bolted to the rad using the nylon elbow from kit #16744 at http://www.derale.com/electricfanaccess.shtml

JMC

Old 12-14-2005 | 04:43 PM
This was reported before.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...an%2A+radiator

Last edited by Norm; 12-14-2005 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2005 | 05:33 PM
Well i'm in the club also. just installed my dual core lightning radiator due to the same thing. I love the fans but the system could be improved. I used the perma cool mounting hardware when i reinstalled. I've had some issues with the controllers to. You must keep them protected from the elements!!! Oh and this was after exactly one year of use!

Old 12-14-2005 | 05:38 PM
|
Originally Posted by Norm
thats funny when i called troyer performance they said it is the very first time they have ever heard of this happening, maybe i should give them a call to let them know that the way the fans are mounted could cause a problem down the road and maybe they should modify there kit to fix this problem

Old 12-14-2005 | 05:50 PM
I'm not knocking anyone either, but it sounds like something that is a typical problem if this many people have had the same issue. Sounds like TP needs to own up to it being a problem as well. Then again, thats why I sprung for the Flex-a-lite kit that mounts in the factory position. I researched all of the possiblities and it was just more efficiant to get the $400 made for the truck with mounting hardware kit than to zip tie or rods and bushings it one there. I don't need cooling problems

Old 12-14-2005 | 05:57 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor
FWIW I have had the kit for 4 years now and it has never given me any problems. The copper rods have not cut through the tubes. I did remove the rad when I installed the fans and paid close attention to where the rods went through the rad. Given the numbers sold t would make sense that at least a few "unlucky" ones would have a rod rub the tube. The reason I mounted one fan using the bolts is that I upgraded to a 2 core rad when the first one plugged up and I was looking for an alternate way of mounting the fans. The copper rods arw a PITA. I have had this alternate mount for about two years now. I do play off road and I jump the truck on a regular basis. There is a railroad track in town that acts as a ramp and it is quite enjoyable to imagine the look on the faces of the people in the car next to me when they look to their right and all thew see in their window is my 305/70 R16 Mudders. Anyways might I suggest using the bolt as I did or the palstic kit that I refered to in my previous post.

Old 12-14-2005 | 07:34 PM
|
Originally Posted by JMC
FWIW I have had the kit for 4 years now and it has never given me any problems. The copper rods have not cut through the tubes. I did remove the rad when I installed the fans and paid close attention to where the rods went through the rad. Given the numbers sold t would make sense that at least a few "unlucky" ones would have a rod rub the tube. The reason I mounted one fan using the bolts is that I upgraded to a 2 core rad when the first one plugged up and I was looking for an alternate way of mounting the fans. The copper rods arw a PITA. I have had this alternate mount for about two years now. I do play off road and I jump the truck on a regular basis. There is a railroad track in town that acts as a ramp and it is quite enjoyable to imagine the look on the faces of the people in the car next to me when they look to their right and all thew see in their window is my 305/70 R16 Mudders. Anyways might I suggest using the bolt as I did or the palstic kit that I refered to in my previous post.
i will have to look into that thanks JMC, i think what i will do is wile the radiator is removed so i can braze the hole i am going to inject RTV silacone around the copper rods so that they canot rub anything and to help with the vibration

Old 12-14-2005 | 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by 98Navi
I'm not knocking anyone either, but it sounds like something that is a typical problem if this many people have had the same issue. Sounds like TP needs to own up to it being a problem as well. Then again, thats why I sprung for the Flex-a-lite kit that mounts in the factory position. I researched all of the possiblities and it was just more efficiant to get the $400 made for the truck with mounting hardware kit than to zip tie or rods and bushings it one there. I don't need cooling problems

yeh 400 for fans from TP 2 years later.. a new radiator.. i think the issue should be looked into by TP...

Old 12-15-2005 | 10:06 AM
I hate to say I told ya' so, but I told ya' so. That was the entire reason I went with the Flex-A-Lite kit.... I'm not a fan of hanging stuff off the radiator core. The OEM trans cooler and AC condenser are mounted by the flanges.... I figured there had to be a reason.

In theory, if nothing moves, nothing will rub anything, but in reality, things work their way loose over time, and when they loosen up, they rub.

The Troyer kit is nice, but I like my FAL kit even more now.

-Joe

Quick Reply: problem with Troyer E-fans