Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question accel coil packs?

does anyone know if accel make coil packs like these for a 5.4

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ions/index.php

Old 03-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the article it says "they are an easy upgrade to any modular 4.6 or 5.8". I am assuming they are meaning the 5.4 as they don't have a 5.8. Is it possible they use the same COP's for both applications?

Last edited by grizzstang; 03-18-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Summit Racing has them. They are for both applications. They are not cheap at $34.95 each for a total of $279.60 to do all 8. I looked at some good reviews about them online.

Last edited by grizzstang; 03-18-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:36 PM
i wonder if it will improve performance and gas mileage any....or if they are even worth it. In the article he states he paid 180

Old 03-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if ur looking at COPS for a 5.4L i would highly suggest not going with accel's
i am only saying this because i have seen several complaints on these boards. i know Jbrew is an advocate for OEM replacements on e-bay from a venter called global auto?

Old 03-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Klitch
if ur looking at COPS for a 5.4L i would highly suggest not going with accel's
i am only saying this because i have seen several complaints on these boards. i know Jbrew is an advocate for OEM replacements on e-bay from a venter called global auto?
I believe those COPS that Jbrew recommended are only for the 5.4L 2valve.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
those particular ones he has recommended yes. but i'd imagine the store should have the 3v cops? i dunno but its definately something to look into.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm going to be replacing my COPS soon, but I have a question. I have searched and searched the board and the net but have yet to find my answer. I have a 2001 SCrew with a 5.4 and the L in the vin code. Everywhere I've found coil packs has different ones for the 2v and 4v. I thought my 01 was a 2v, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know how I can tell? Sorry for the slight thread jack, but this is a recent thread and I was considering getting the Accels.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
After having Accel coil packs on my previous 4.6 truck, and seeing some of the expereinces people on here are having with their COPs, Ive come to the conclusion that Accel is absolute JUNK for these trucks. Never again will I even consider them or recommend them for these vehicles.

When it comes to ignition components, these trucks are DAMN picky. Its hard to beat the O.E. Motorcraft stuff when it comes down to it.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:41 PM
No No No No No Dont Dooo Itt!!!!!!!

DO NOT BUY ACCEL COILS OR ANYTHING FROM THEM. Every thing including a set of coils purchased from them has been NO GOOD. I'm including friends purchases in this going back YEARs to their Supercoil, PIECE OF SH-T!!!!!!. I also did purchase COP's for my 5.4 and 5 out of 8 are dead. I should have known better and I did, but thought that they improved, NOOOOO!!!
BUY FROM ANY OTHER COMPANY BUT ACCEL!!!!

Lowflyingbird

Last edited by lowflyingbird; 03-19-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I know their COP's suck , many users have reported. Not sure about their Coil Packs tho. But , if they can't rap a dedicated coil right - why chance getting a pack from them. Just go with MSD.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
I know their COP's suck , many users have reported. Not sure about their Coil Packs tho. But , if they can't rap a dedicated coil right - why chance getting a pack from them. Just go with MSD.
I've got the coil packs, after 40000 no complaints, I have had a miss, well its like it "loads up" like an old carb, when its cold, the truck hits 4k and just stops, no power and misfires like crazy, but never a single code, nothing comes up on the scan tool and there are no misfires stored in mode 6, it has haunted me for months, and no one around can figure it out, but it never misses a beat when the ect reaches 150 or so.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
I've got the coil packs, after 40000 no complaints, I have had a miss, well its like it "loads up" like an old carb, when its cold, the truck hits 4k and just stops, no power and misfires like crazy, but never a single code, nothing comes up on the scan tool and there are no misfires stored in mode 6, it has haunted me for months, and no one around can figure it out, but it never misses a beat when the ect reaches 150 or so.
It's possessed

Nothing in mode 6 ? History shows nothing??

Only cold ? Well don't do that when it's cold

Maybe your saying your truck does this at all temps and just sounds like an old carbed motor when cold - is that what you mean ?

Then Iduno - I would prolly try bypassing the EGR valve and see if that changes anything. Keep that thing shut u-know.

I bet you tried that - You and others have studied data and there isn't anything out of the norm ?

Old 03-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
It's possessed

Nothing in mode 6 ? History shows nothing??

Only cold ? Well don't do that when it's cold

Maybe your saying your truck does this at all temps and just sounds like an old carbed motor when cold - is that what you mean ?

Then Iduno - I would prolly try bypassing the EGR valve and see if that changes anything. Keep that thing shut u-know.

I bet you tried that - You and others have studied data and there isn't anything out of the norm ?
I think it is, yea just made a quick grocery run sure enough, ECT hit above 140 and started to clear up. Yea put it on the IDS and 0 misfires for any cyl. but not 2 mins before it wouldn't turn 4500? EGR is fully shut, nothing there. Only within 5 mins of initaial crank up, on a cold start. Really gets me, studied all kinds of data, even recordings while driving and nothing, not a single fault. Changed oils thinking maybe the LA's didn't like the 10w30, but nothing. Problem started down in myrtle beach, changed fuel filter and it improved, changed wires and it improved, just gets me though. The plugs have 50000 on them, but they can wait until the heads are done and will get brand new plugs once the PI's get bolted down. So far it has sent 6 20+ year Ford vets. for a loop, no earthly idea of the problem.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
I think it is, yea just made a quick grocery run sure enough, ECT hit above 140 and started to clear up. Yea put it on the IDS and 0 misfires for any cyl. but not 2 mins before it wouldn't turn 4500? EGR is fully shut, nothing there. Only within 5 mins of initaial crank up, on a cold start. Really gets me, studied all kinds of data, even recordings while driving and nothing, not a single fault. Changed oils thinking maybe the LA's didn't like the 10w30, but nothing. Problem started down in myrtle beach, changed fuel filter and it improved, changed wires and it improved, just gets me though. The plugs have 50000 on them, but they can wait until the heads are done and will get brand new plugs once the PI's get bolted down. So far it has sent 6 20+ year Ford vets. for a loop, no earthly idea of the problem.
There's been quite a few high RPM cut out problems in the past. I remember on one ocasion it was a MSD pack set but , usually it was with Granaitelli's. Haven't really heard about the Accels dying @ that rpm. I would swap test with the OEM's just to be sure.

Most just switched back to OEM and that solved the issues with other brands.

I'll take a set of those cheapy coils off ebay any day

Last edited by jbrew; 03-19-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Quick Reply: accel coil packs?