Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
goooooooooooooood wooooooooooooooooooork paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Old 01-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Contributor

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
good work Pat, now all you need is something to force air into the motor

Old 01-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Looks good pat! I still kinda wish I had gotten my dad's 97 5.4...

Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camarothatcould
goooooooooooooood wooooooooooooooooooork paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
yeh we wouldn't have got it done in good time if john would have helped. we let him stand back and nurse the beers.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:31 PM
anyways, we should get back on topic, ill start

great job pat on the port, did you do it or did you have someone else do it?

Old 01-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 136 Likes on 113 Posts
It was someone else that did it, i just funded it

Old 01-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by azmidget91
anyways, we should get back on topic, ill start

great job pat on the port, did you do it or did you have someone else do it?
i ported it. its the 4th one ive done.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Faster150
i ported it. its the 4th one ive done.
cool sorry for anything i said to you, and i do agree with you that the truck did gain flow being that you needed to add more fuel, but i also agree with neal that the head not being matched will cause turbulence, but it was obviously not enough to loose flow

Old 01-04-2009, 09:47 PM
cool sorry for anything i said to you, and i do agree with you that the truck did gain flow being that you needed to add more fuel, but i also agree with neal that the head not being matched will cause turbulence, but it was obviously not enough to loose flow
the thick gaskets used on these motors generates an air gap to transition the flow because the stock head and intake ports are far from matched. not to mention turbulence if any will help with the air fuel mixture. increasing burn quality and economy. but if neals theory is correct aftermarket intake systems and MAF's that are larger than stock TB inlets are pointless you loose power because of this said new air restriction once it necks down into the throttle body. stock TB are 65-68mm the stock MAF's are 80mm ID most every aftermarket intake tubes i have seen are 80mm or larger.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Faster150
the thick gaskets used on these motors generates an air gap to transition the flow because the stock head and intake ports are far from matched. not to mention turbulence if any will help with the air fuel mixture. increasing burn quality and economy. but if neals theory is correct aftermarket intake systems and MAF's that are larger than stock TB inlets are pointless you loose power because of this said new air restriction once it necks down into the throttle body. stock TB are 65-68mm the stock MAF's are 80mm ID most every aftermarket intake tubes i have seen are 80mm or larger.
like what i was saying you both are right, the bigger port will flow more but the lip will restrict it, even if you just smooth out the lip it would gain quite a bit but it doesnt effect it enough to negate the larger port size

in my race car when they required a restriction tube in the hilborn injection stacks we lost a tone of power with just the given sleeve in the stack then once we put silicone on the leading edge to smooth out the transition in size we gained alot of the lost power........but hey i know nothing

Old 01-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

HI!... Well I guess I'm going to half to post this so people can understand.

O.k here is a stock P.I head intake port. As you can see the gasket is much larger than the port itself. The factory intake manifold intake port is about 98% matched to the heads intake port. When they are bolted together there is still a slight gap created by the gasket itself. This will cause a very small amount of turbulence but well within the tolerance that Ford allows. It's a assembly line engine, it's not going to be perfect.

Next is a pic of a stock 5.4 aluminum P.I intake manifold that I cut apart. As you can see the top section has been hand ported to the stock intake manifold gasket. The bottom section has not. You can clearly see the difference.

In this pic you can clearly see the smooth transition between the gasket matched head intake port and the gasket matched intake manifold intake port. No restriction, no ledge.

So you can clearly see that bolting a gasket matched upper intake manifold to a stock intake ported head you will end up with what is in pic #1. That ledge on the inside of the stock intake gasket is a major restriction to the incoming air. More now than before. I did it both ways on my 5.4. With both sides gasket matched made the biggest improvement.

Last edited by Neal; 01-04-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 136 Likes on 113 Posts
Neal i dont think you've ever correctly posted a picture

Old 01-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
Neal i dont think you've ever correctly posted a picture

Pics or not, the point is well made. If the two parts, any two parts, and in this case heads and intake are matched, a .06" gap doesn't mean a lot. I have no incontrovertible data to back this up, but isn't it common sense??? Seems so....

Somewhere along the runner it get tighter for velocity anyway.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:38 PM
like what i was saying you both are right, the bigger port will flow more but the lip will restrict it, even if you just smooth out the lip it would gain quite a bit but it doesnt effect it enough to negate the larger port size

in my race car when they required a restriction tube in the hilborn injection stacks we lost a tone of power with just the given sleeve in the stack then once we put silicone on the leading edge to smooth out the transition in size we gained alot of the lost power........but hey i know nothing

lol ive heard of stuff like that getting past tech inspection. one on my friend sdirt track car we put nitrous in a bottle on it. we ran the nitrous through the vacuum line and the bottle was in duffel bag next to the drivers seat. it passed tech inspection. he won the race. but every other lap he had to turn the bottle off because the rubber line would freeze up. so every other pass ud see the frozen line lol it got passed tech inspection but we didnt wanna press our luck so we took it out.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by ONELOWF

Pics or not, the point is well made. If the two parts, any two parts, and in this case heads and intake are matched, a .06" gap doesn't mean a lot. I have no incontrovertible data to back this up, but isn't it common sense??? Seems so....

Somewhere along the runner it get tighter for velocity anyway.
this argument is the same as the one about do bed covers work or dont they..

but yes the intake runners neck down and then open up then neck down again at the back of the valve. this generates low pressure area's that increase velocity and flow

Quick Reply: Ported intake manifold install