4.6 - Lightning 5.4 swap TOO many questions!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009 | 11:33 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor
The 97-98 clusters receive a pulsed signal that they translate into MPH - KM/h and also control the odometer motor that spins the dials. The 1999 clusters receive a signal from the PCM. If you want to use a lightning cluster you would have to swap the dash panel harness. it would be much easier to swap instrument panels from a 99+ F-150. If you do this be sure to transfer the VIN from your truck to the new IP. You also have PATS to contend with. The PATS receiver is on the steering column. If it were me I would go find a wrecked 99+ F-150 and pull the instrument panel and the steering column.

Old 11-26-2009 | 01:36 AM
|
I have the gauge cluster and steering wheel coloum from a wrecked 01 lightning can I use that or no?

and what do you mean by instrument panel?

Last edited by Jughead14; 11-26-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-26-2009 | 10:10 AM
JMC
The instrument panel is the whole dash. To swap the instrument cluster wire harness you have to pull out the "dash" to get to it. A friend of mine used to do complete Lightning swaps. He would take your truck and turn it into a Lightning. Ever see an 11 second SuperCab 4x2? In 2000? He made one.

Do you have a scrapped Lightning in your back yard?

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 11-26-2009 | 11:38 AM
|
lol no but i know a guy who has one that i bought all my stuff from... i can give him a call and see if he'll give up the entire dash

why do i need the entire dash though just for that harness... wouldnt it be easier just to pick up a harness from ford?

and send your buddy my way lol i pretty much have everything i need for my swap i'm just trying to figure out all these stupid bits and pieces to get everything ready

Old 11-26-2009 | 05:55 PM
JMC
The Instrument cluster harness is part of the Instrument panel harness. The cost of the harness at the dealership would be more than the cost of a complete instrument panel.

Old 11-26-2009 | 07:52 PM
JMC
This should give you an idea of what is attached to the Instrument panel.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-26-2009 | 09:00 PM
|
so if I track down a 99+ instrument dash and I already have a lightning gauge cluster and steering column, your saying the gauge cluster will work?

Old 11-26-2009 | 11:24 PM
JMC
You cannot just plug them in and they work. The PATS system will need to be programmed and the cluster from the L will need to be matched to the new L PCM.

Setting aside the morals of odometer tampering for the sake of clarification. The 97 98 trucks could swap instrument clusters by removing and replacing. The Odometer readings are in a chip in the cluster.
The 99+ clusters have no such chip. They have a processor that sends a signal to the PCM to retrieve the odometer information and it displays that info in the instrument cluster odometer. The PATS system uses a transceiver in the steering column that sends a signal to the PATS control module indicating the code embedded in the ignition key. If the code passes the module sends a signal to the PCM to enable the fuel pump and injectors. The module is part of the instrument cluster. When you swap clusters at the dealer they need your old odometer reading to program the new instrument cluster to the odometer reading. You can defeat all of this by having a chip programmed to disable the PATS and the odometer reading that was in the cluster will appear on the odometer. It will be what was in the L cluster not what was in the L PCM if they are different.

IN a nutshell: Use the 1998 PCM and 4R70W transmission and have it programmed to run the L engine. Everything bolts up but some of the engine control functions and sensors are not used. Your stock transmission will not last.

or

Use the L engine, transmission and PCM and all of the L wire harness including the engine and transmission. You will need the L or any 99+ instrument cluster to show the odometer and speed. To run these clusters you will need the instrument panel wire harness.

Note Most people who swap use the L engine and original PCM with a built 4R70W transmission.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 11-26-2009 | 11:45 PM
|
that's killer info thanks a lot

since I already have the L tranmbs and what not I think its best I take that second route sounds easier in my situation... now all I have to do is track down a 99+ instrument panel with that harness and I'm one step closer to my goal!

since we're on this subject, the guys in earlier posts said I couldn't use the L gauge cluster without also swapping out my gem module and cab harness... is there any truth to that?

Old 11-27-2009 | 08:48 AM
JMC
When you get the instrument panel it will have all the wires and fuse box which also has the GEM attached. Simply swap out the instrument panels. Drill out the VIN plate rivets and transfer your old VIN plate to the new Instrument panel.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 11-27-2009 | 04:02 PM
|
sweet man thanks a mill now all i need is a 99+ instrument panel and i can use my svt gauge cluster

do you by any chance know if i need any 99+ motor mounts for this swap?

Old 11-28-2009 | 05:51 PM
JMC
The engine mounts on your existing engine will bolt right up.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 11-29-2009 | 05:56 PM
|
k i figured somebody mentioned it up there but they weren't entirely positive.

do you know if i will need the lightning coolant lines or will my 97 collant lines bolt right up because all my coolant lines bent while strapping the motor down on the back of our 1 ton

Old 11-29-2009 | 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jughead14
that's killer info thanks a lot
Yea, JMC is the man when it comes to these engines, -that's a given.

Old 11-30-2009 | 03:38 PM
|
i wish i had someone like him up here to help me with all this! i have to take my truck to a lame mechanic shop to do this install and they quoting me 1500 and more if they can't get all of the electronic work done right away!!! makes me sad.

Quick Reply: 4.6 - Lightning 5.4 swap TOO many questions!